• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Foam loft insulation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foam loft insulation

3 years ago I applied for a government grant towards loft insulation. They were insisting that all landlords had to improve their EPC rating and the foam loft insulation was what was required. The government are still promoting this. They agreed a grant and advised what contractors you should use. I had the work done which incidentally was excellent and have a 25 year guarantee. Now I unfortunately have to sell the property but am losing buyers because lenders will not lend on it despite it having a guarantee and a company was used on the governments list and the government are still promoting this. The estate agents are implying the only way we can sell is if the foam insulation is removed at a cost of £5000. My argument is , despite spending money I don’t have , is that then lenders will still not lend until I put alternative insulation in at a further cost. I cannot get to speak to anyone in the government about this. Surely the government should pay to have this rectified. I am really at my wits end.
    Tags: None

Have you raised this with your MP?
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Some info that, if you haven’t already seen it, may be useful.
      https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk...%20of%20decay.

Comment

The article states the government is not going to intervene.
        Dig out the literature if you still have it and try to remember what the salesman said about the product.
        There is a possibility the product was mis-sold and you were misled. You would not have had the product installed had you known the truth about it.
        You may be able to seek redress under the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008

Comment

The problem with sprayed foam insulation is lack of ventilation in the roof space that may eventually cause timbers to rot with condensation
          Did the installers leave gaps for ventilation. If not the installation may have been faulty and you could have a potential claim against the installer

Comment

The government stipulated that landlords had to increase their EPC rating by insulating the properties with central heating , double glazing and foam lift insulation. They were giving out grants towards the costs. We took up the offer for the foam lift insulation despite having perfectly adequate insulation but the government wasn’t interested. It was foam
            insuiation only to increase EPC and it was at their recommendation that we used rye company that we did. The work was completed and a 25 years guarantee certificate produced. We had no reason to question the company because it was the government that recommend them. Now the government are not interested if they have caused us problems when selling. They point out that yes the grant is available and if you take it up we will let you let the property out but they failed to tell us that we betide if you try and sell it you couldn’t because mortgage companies won’t lend on it. To add insult to injury the government are STILL giving out these grants and advising landlords that they have to have this to improve their EPC rating

Comment

Yes the company did install it correctly.

Comment

Is there any sign of condensation in the loft?

Comment

The Government paid two thirds of the cost, how did you pay the rest? or was it 100%?

Comment

From the document in Huxie's link:

"The RICS advises homeowners to keep paperwork from their installation to assist should you decide to sell or remortgage the property. This includes independent test certificates which are awarded to spray foam products by organisations such as the British Board of Agrement (BBA).

This may help a surveyor assess the work done."
                    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Thank you everyone. I’ll address these one at a time
                      1. No there is no sign of condensation in the loft. It’s bone dry.
                      2. The government paid two thirds and I paid the rest.
                      3. The surveyor was given all the receipts and a copy of the 25 year guarantee but the lenders will still not lend on it. Government are aware of this but don’t care.

Comment

Originally posted by Witsend1 View Post
                        Thank you everyone. I’ll address these one at a time
                        1. No there is no sign of condensation in the loft. It’s bone dry.
                        2. The government paid two thirds and I paid the rest.
                        3. The surveyor was given all the receipts and a copy of the 25 year guarantee but the lenders will still not lend on it. Government are aware of this but don’t care.
                        How did you pay the rest? Credit Card?

Comment

I have just read about a similar situation where government funded cavity insulation was installed in terraced properties and caused condensation and damp.
                          SSB Law cold called affected homeowners, sent round surveyors, and informed owners their properties were worthless unless the insulation was removed.
                          1,500 owners were persuaded to join class action on a no-win-no-fee basis with ATE insurance and believed they wouldn't face any legal costs.
                          SSB Law started a claim against the builder and when the builder became insolvent, pursued the government in court.
                          In January SSB Law went into administration owing £48m
                          The homeowners are now being threatened with CCJs and bailiffs if they don't pay towards the defendants legal costs not covered by insurance. Individuals face having to find up to £35k each to prevent court action
                          The article did not say why the homeowners were not covered by the ATE insurance.
                          The premium for ATE insurance is normally taken from the award of a successful claim to pay the insurance company. As SSB Law went into administration before the case was finished the insurance company could not receive its money in the event the claim was successful so refused to cover the defendant's legal costs.
                          OP should be wary about being contacted by a law firm in the future regarding class action
                          Last edited by Pezza54; 9th February 2024, 14:09:PM.

Comment

Paid balance on debit card

Comment

There really isn’t anything wrong with the installation. It’s just surveyors are just poking their head in the loft and seeing its foam and saying no without asking pertinent questions. It’s so bad.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X