• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Occupational Rent - am I entitled to claim from ex partner still living in our house

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Occupational Rent - am I entitled to claim from ex partner still living in our house

Hi there,

Myself & my ex-partner separated earlier this year. We House went up for sale in January, but didn't sell for quite some time (approx July). I moved out in March due to the relationship breaking down and needing to escape the toxic environment.

Ex-partner continued to live there, until now, has not made any effort to leave and in honesty I feel most likely delayed the sale. I do not have an excess of my own personal funds and the delay in receiving money from the house has caused me to delay moving forward, I moved into a rented property as I could not afford to buy. Thankfully the property has sold and all being well should complete by the end of the year.

Can I claim occupational rent for my half of the mortgage for the time that they have been living there? How do I go about that? From what I have found online, the amount in occupational rent that I would be owed far exceeds the amount they could argue I owe towards the mortgage payments.

For context, my ex is now saying I should not receive an equal share of the profit at the end as I have not contributed in full towards the mortgage (50% of mortgage per month). I have our child living with me for 80% of the time (despite me suggesting many alternatives as I believed that wasn't split in the best interests of our child), my rental payments alone are more than the mortgage payments, and I have been unable to work as much due to the childcare arrangements, which is not financially sustainable, while they earn 2 or 3x more than I do.

Thanks in advance,
    K
    Tags: None

Concentrate on getting the property sold.

Occupation rents can indeed be chrged, but can depend on the circumstances of your leaving.

Comment

Originally posted by dslippy View Post
      Concentrate on getting the property sold.

Occupation rents can indeed be chrged, but can depend on the circumstances of your leaving.
      I understand your point about the house sale, but as he is saying I should get less of the profit I'd appreciate to even know where I stand with it, he is very good at twisting / confusing matters, so if I know my rights it would definitely help.

I was under the impression that if a partner needs to leave due to the breakdown of the relationship (far more complex than just this but in brief a toxic environment where I couldn't be around him anymore) then it is classes as constructive exclusion which means you are able to claim?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X