• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Issued Section 146 Notice - No progress what do i do next ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issued Section 146 Notice - No progress what do i do next ?

Hi Guys

So I have a neighbour who has breached 7 conditions of her lease, I've issued them with the S146 Notice and gave them a reasonable time of 3 months to fix the breaches but they have done nothing.

Now that they have passed the deadline what do I have to do next to take the issue to court and attempt to have the lease forfeited, I'd like to try and attempt this myself as I've previously been to court regarding a small claims case and I successfully won that, so I'd like to try and do the same.

Would it be possible for someone to quickly outline what forms I need to fill in and what steps I need to take to achieve this ?*

This neighbour is making everyone's life hell, so I need to show them we mean business.

Many thanks

Tags: None

You need to make an application to the court using form N244 to commence proceedings in the County Court for forfeiture.

The tenant (or their mortgagee) has the right to apply to the court from relief against the order being sought in accordance with section 146(2) of the Law of Property Act 1925. It's more likely the mortgage company would get involved as opposed to them if they are ignoring the notice.
    COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Thanks for your reply Jaguar

Can you please give me a little more info on how the process works in a 1,2,3 type format ? For example.

1) So I fill in the N244 form and submit to the county court

2) I get a hearing date at the county court and so does the tenant.

3) I turn up and present my case with evidence of the breaches and their lease is then forfeit or more likely they somehow postpone the hearing .

I thought the case was heard by the Lease Tribunal Service or is that just another name for the county court ?

thanks Lucky13
      Last edited by lucky13; 12th February 2020, 12:32:PM.

Comment

Hi

Can anyone help with the above questions ?

Many thanks

Lucky

Comment

Yes on 1 and 2.

3) I turn up and present my case with evidence of the breaches.

4) Their mortgage company will probably have applied to the court for relief and in turn are likely to be ordered by the court to make good the issues or else the lease will be forfeit.*

5) If they don’t make good you will apply for enforcement of the order and a notice of possession.

6) Another hearing will grant it.

7) You’ll have to enforce possession.*

No, it’ll be heard in the County Court.

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Thanks JaguarsUK that's really helpful

I've got a trainee solicitor helping me and they have said that I need to use an N5 form to make a claim for possession of a property along side an N120 form ( particulars of claim )

Do I use those forms for enforcing number 5 in your post above ?

They haven't mentioned an N244 form, so I'm getting bit confused now, when I read up on an N244 form is says this is used to set aside or vary a judgment, or suspend an enforcement process.

Many thanks and sorry for the extra questions

Comment

N244 is to make an application to the court, it covers a wide range of things and it’s generally when you want some sort of order.*

You want the courts to order that the tenant comply with section 146 of the Law of Property Act 1925 to repair the issues they have been notified about or the lease be forfeit.

You could go straight to applying for possession due to the breach, notice having been served and therefore the lease be forfeit with possession granted. However their Mortgager will apply for relief and it won’t be granted.*

There is no way on this earth a Mortgage company is not going to defend a lease forfeiture of a property it has a charge on and the court will likely grant it them.*

If you know who their Mortgage is with it might be worth sending them a letter before action and seeing what outcome that ends in before spending money applying to the court. *

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X