• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Query about architect liability

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Query about architect liability

I am just looking for some advice.

We had an architect draw up full plans for a planning application for a double storey extension which was refused, we then had the plans revised to a slightly different layout then finally had plans drawn up for a single storey extension and loft conversion. We finally got planning. We used those plans to get builder quotes and got a structural engineer to do their drawings. Once the builder was on site we realised we also needed building control sign off too so they were sent the same plans and on one of their many (many) visits it transpires that because we now have 3 storey's we have to make fire safety changes too. In our case we could either install a fire sprinkler system (costly) or enclose our downstairs stairs by adding a new wall to create an enclosed means of escape.

I think understandably I am not pleased as this is not only additional unforeseen cost but it will change part of house that we hadn't realised. My feeling is the architect would have known about this at the outset and should have told us - he obviously disagrees and I was wondering if we had any recourse or if I was being unreasonable?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Tags: None

Its a shame no one responded/acknowledged this as its a valid query.
    Did you get any further advice elsewhere?

Comment

I was not a member at the time, so did not see this.

One of my first questions to the OP would have been about the terms of the architect's engagement: what he was to do and what was excluded from the scope of work to be undertaken.

When I was in practice as a lawyer I always regarded it as important to agree clearly at the outset what I would do and what was outwith the scope of the engagement.
      Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

atticus An almost 3 year old post resurrected by a spammer.

Comment

I hoped that the first words of my reply showed that I realised that, Huxie
          Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
            I hoped that the first words of my reply showed that I realised that, Huxie
            Whoops, completely missed that. Sorry.

Comment

That is the most frustrating and annoying thing about being an architect. To tell the truce, I hate people who act like this and change the project a hundred times. They don’t understand how hard it is to change the perfect image/sketch. And how much time does it take to calculate everything again? I suggest you warn the client that the first two changes of the ready project are free, but further ones should be paid for. Due to my experience, it works brilliantly; clients try to change as little as possible. More advice here.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X