• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Can I find out if a lease on a flat built in 2018 could become a nightmare lease?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I find out if a lease on a flat built in 2018 could become a nightmare lease?

Dear Group
    Thank you for reading and for any help you can provide.
    My neighbour, who is in her 70s, is moving back up North and almost bought a very dodgy flat (turns out only 1 flat was owner-occupied, the rest were rented out and horrible reviews on trip adviser, and two nightclubs nearby causing lots of noise) so she's had a lucky escape, but she has incurred solicitors costs and all told has spent well over £600. Now she has found another flat, which she is going to view this weekend, which was built by Bloor Homes in 2018. The seller bought it apparently for his mother who didn't want to live there, but my friend will probe on that front. Her main worry though is to avoid a flat with a lease that can become a nightmare with ground rent costs spiralling. Is there a way she can work out if the current owner of the lease is able to sell it on to a third party (I've just read a few articles that say developers are not obliged to mention this) without spending £££ on solicitors and searches? I know it's possible to get title register, but not sure if that would reveal the information required, i.e. looking at an example it doesn't appear to say whether or not this is possible. Thanks vm

PS I was being a bit slow. I just bought the freehold title register for my friend and the flat is owned by Adriatic Land, who have been mentioned in articles about nightmare leases, but they have different companies, Adriatic Land 1, 2, 3 etc, for different properties, so bit hard to tell if entity which owns flat my friend is looking at is tied to only charge a certain amount or whether they can basically please themselves. If anyone has had dealings with this company, good or not, I would value hearing about it. Many thanks.
    Last edited by Vitamin33; 28th March 2019, 21:02:PM.
    Tags: None

UPDATE FRIDAY 29 MARCH: My friend is not going for that flat, as it is way too risky, as Adriatic have been described as robber freeholders. But thank you all anyway.

Comment

Goodness doesn't sound like she is having a lot of luck. Good call on checking the Land Registry docs and doing your research for her.

Is she wanting to be in the middle of town or could she go out a bit and get a freehold bungalow?

#staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

[QUOTE=Amethyst;n1458666]Goodness doesn't sound like she is having a lot of luck. Good call on checking the Land Registry docs and doing your research for her.

Is she wanting to be in the middle of town or could she go out a bit and get a freehold bungalow?

[/QUOT

Thanks. I know, she's having a right old horrible time of it, and is feeling pretty daunted, bless her. She's currently in a fairly new new build flat with minimal maintenance, and wanted similar in the middle of town but she's having to rethink everything, and I think an older freehold property on the outskirts is becoming more appealing by the day. It is awful that people are getting caught with these freeholder robbers.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X