• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Selling a house from prison

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling a house from prison

Hi all,

Slightly unusual question but it's genuine not a law degree what-if...

I am thinking about buying a house and having pulled the title there are joint owners. Having done some googling, one is in jail and the other is "on the run" whereabouts unknown.

I am presuming that as it's on the market, the owner in jail does have the ability to sell and communicate with the Estate Agent.

However on the title there are several RESTRICTIONS, namely "no disposition by the proprietor" except with written consent of a named DC at a named police station, the Proceeds of Crime unit, and a Finance Company. It's further complicated by the fact the Finance Company charge is against the other owner who is on the run.

Of course my advice to myself is "don't touch with a bargepole", but it's a lovely property and maybe these aren't the show stoppers that they appear to be.

I have not made an offer yet so don't want to involve my solicitor at this stage, just after some opinions if anyone here has dealt with a similar situation previously or has knowledge in this area.

Many thanks!
    Tags: None

So it could just be that there is a court order under proceeds of crime regulations that the house be sold and the proceeds distributed to the victims. Suggest you talk to the DC first and see what he says.

Comment

Might be an idea to try to speak to the DC named on the restriction first. It maybe the house is being sold following a sale order obtained by proceeds of crime.

edit : Sorry .... posted at same time as ostell but as we say same thing - I'd do that xx
      Last edited by Amethyst; 18th March 2019, 09:08:AM. Reason: Crossed posts
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Thanks both, I did try to click the thumbs up button but sadly my reputation is still below sea level.

As it happens before I even sent the OP I tried to call the police station referred to. This now seems impossible as every number I found just redirected me to call 101. I don't want to bother even the non-emergency number with this so have sent an email on the metpolice contact us page in the hope the DC will email or call me back. If anyone knows how to find out the switchboard number of a London police station I'm all ears.

Comment

101 will put you through if needed but with your enquiry they'd likely prefer an email in any event.

Is the property for sale through an estate agent ? You could enquire through them of course to find if it is being sold by the owners directly or if it is being sold under a possession/sale order. Your conveyancer will simply need to ensure the registered charge terms is adherred to - it shouldn't create any additional problems for you process wise though.

#staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X