• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Charges on property - fraud?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charges on property - fraud?

Hi All,

I'm aware that this could possibly be in the wrong section of the forum, so I do apologise if that is that case. I am slightly at a loss and need advice;

-My father has stage 2 Multiple Sclerosis and has 3 rental properties. He is currently in debt.
    -His sister told him that he could get monies by using her small company as a way of getting funds and use his three properties as security. Initial loan needed £100k
    -When it came to signing the contract with the loan shark/lender - he could not access the offices, so they came out to the street and he signed it and realised it was for £250k
    -He was then told when the money hits his account, he has to transfer to his sister business account - otherwise the loan is deemed invalid
    -He did this and has not had a penny, but his three properties are used as security and the loan term is due to expire this week. He is in further debt.

Please keep in mind he has MS and should not be signing anything in the first place. I have only learnt about this recently, as he confided in me as a last hope.

I am looking to apply for power of attorney over him, to avoid these things happening. Do we have a case of fraud here and do I go to the police, inland revenue or a solicitor (which will cost money he does not have and time) ? I have checked land registry and they have applied security on all three properties.

Any advice would be very much appreciated or a pointer in the right direction
    Tags: None

That sounds awful. So, the loan went into his account, and then he transferred it to his sister? If you can afford to pay a solicitor yourself, I suspect that's your best course. Have you spoken to the sister?

Comment

Hi 2222,

Thank you for your response!

That is correct; there was a transfer of funds from him to his sister - which makes it hard for me to sympathise in the first place; but felt he was under duress to do so, otherwise they would call the loan in?

I'd have to find the funds for a solicitor, but they are limited. The sister will not speak to me; I have told him it would be the best thing; I think she suspects that as I am not vulnerable and this is deceitful and cannot be manipulated, she would not have a leg to stand on

Comment

Do you have any copies of any of the paperwork ?

Have you checked the charges on the properties with the land registry ?

Was his access restricted to the 'offices' due to his disability?

The 'company' did transfer 250k to his bank account and he transferred the full amount to his sister ?

Have you seen the bank statements ? Is this a normal sum of money to be going through his account ?

#staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hi Amethyst,

Thank you for your response!

-He requested copies of the contract,but has not received anything till this date
          -I have checked land registry and the charges had been applied in June 2018
          -His access to the office had been restricted, due to being on a motorised wheelchair
          -That is correct with the method of transfers. He was told by his sister that he has to, otherwise the loan would be deemed void and requested back, by the lender..
          -I have had to look at his statement and it is not a normal amount transferred back and fourth to each other

Do let me have your thoughts?

Comment

This sounds as if there has been an offence under The Serious Crime Act 2015.
            This offence is of controlling or coercive behaviour in intimate or familial relationships (section 76).

https://assets.publishing.service.go...y_guidance.pdf

Comment

Hi Des,

Thank you for your response, much appreciated

Would this be a costly thing to pursue via solicitors or something I could perhaps put in a claim for? Any suggestions are appreciated

Comment

The actions you mention obviously lack full detail.
                As a one of act it could possibly be regarded as fraud, but as it took place within the family it might just be one example of controlling behaviour and could therefor fall under Sec 76 as above.
                IMO your suspicions should be reported to the police for investigation as such behaviour rarely stops at one instance

Comment

Hi Des8,

I really do appreciate your response.

I had considered contacting;

-The Police
                  -The Inland revenue
                  -The safeguarding team (as she lives in the inherited house with him)

I would perhaps firstly write a letter asking for this to be sorted amicably in the first instance and see if I get a response?

Comment

Certainly I see no reason for not trying to sort it out amicably, because if you take the legal steps the family rift will grow even wider.

Be sure however your father is not conditioned further, so that he "confesses" to knowing and agreeing to exactly what was happening.
                    It is not difficult for manipulators to confuse the vulnerable into supporting the abuse, as the abused do not realise they are being manipulated

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X