• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Planning objection withdrawn after promise of money from developer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planning objection withdrawn after promise of money from developer

Our village has been fighting a development for many years. Recently three of the major objectors were ' bought off' by the developer. One of the objectors has been found to have been offered money, on an annual basis, to withdraw their objection. Could this be classed as Bribery of some other form of illegality?
    Tags: None

Is the objector who withdrew their objection following payment actually in a position to make the decision or simply an individual who objected to the planning application? ie. If it's a planning official, yes, if not, no. des8 ?
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Most likely not. They would say its compensation/settlement payment, assuming the objector is just a 'normal' objector.
      The information I supply is provided for informational purposes only and, should not be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Thanks for your replies. The objector is a major land owner but not anybody on the planning commitee. I say major, as in owning the majority of land in the largest county in Britain. The objector would be in charge of planning had it been on their land, but the disputed area is just on their boundary.

Comment

Originally posted by ronecc View Post
          The objector would be in charge of planning had it been on their land, but the disputed area is just on their boundary.
          Does this mean the objector is a council officer responsible for the land next to that for which PP has been applied?

Persuading a person to stop objecting does not contravene the Bribery Act 2010, but one must wonder about the propriety of a council officer accepting payments from a third party.
          That almost certainly contravenes the council internal rules, and could be reported both to the council and the LGO

look at schedule of Local Authority’s (Model Code of Conduct) Order 2007.
          Last edited by des8; 24th July 2018, 19:05:PM.

Comment

Thanks Des8. I am presuming the person objecting is the same person emails are addressed to. He is the Chief Exec' of a National Park, not a Council, so I presume the Law does not affect his decision making.

Comment

The Local Authorities order applied to National Parks (http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2007/1159/made)

Further investigation of this order revealed the Standards Board, which enforced the order, has been abolished, and the order replaced by the Localism Act which permits the authorities to draw up their own standards of conduct.
              Apologies for not spotting that earlier.

This means you will have to search for the relevant code of conduct on the parks authority website.
              If it appears to have been breached you need to complain to the Parks Authority (but how worth while that will be is unknown viewing his position!)

Comment

Thanks again. I will look into it.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X