• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Strike out application

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strike out application

Hi, hope someone can help me out, the Defendants in my claim have served an acknowledgement of service to my Particulars of claim but have not filed a defence within the 28 day period thereafter.

Giving the above can they make an application to strike out my claim, even though the time for them to provide a defence has expired.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
    Tags: None

Any help would be appreciated..

Comment

Hello

It's not clear why you are asking about a strike out. If the Defendant has failed to file a defence within the requisite time, shouldn't you be seeking default judgment?

Bear in mind, if the defence was sent by post, then the courts tend to be a week or two behind in processing, so before you consider looking at that, you might want to contact the court.

The short answer to your question is in theory they could but they would need to seek permission to file a defence if the strike out was unsuccessful as that would give you grounds for judgment. Usually, you would file a defence and then apply for strike out to avoid any risk.
      If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      LEGAL DISCLAIMER
      Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Hi Rob, and thanks for your reply, really appreciated.

I telephoned the Court on Friday, some three weeks after the Defendants should have filed a defence, the Court advised me that no defence had been filed.

I have this morning sent to the Court an application for summary judgement to be entered or considered in default of the Defendants not providing a defence to the claim.

The Defendants application to strike out the claim was made before the time to provide a defence had expired,

Without providing a defence, can a party make an application to strike out a claim. Thanks

Comment

Without providing a defence, can a party make an application to strike out a claim. Thanks
          The answer goes back to my point above. Yes, they can in theory make an application to strike out but it is dangerous to do so because normally a strike out would be issued at some point after acknowledgment but before directions questionnaire has been filed.

I have not been able to see anything specific for strike out applications from a quick glance but at CPR 12.3(3) says the following:

(3) The claimant may not obtain a default judgment if -

(a) the defendant has applied -

(i) to have the claimant's statement of case struck out under rule 3.4; or

(ii) for summary judgment under Part 24,

and, in either case, that application has not been disposed of;
          So I am assuming that the application for strike out is being processed and until such a time you cannot request default judgment. If default judgment is granted then you would open yourself up to costs because the judgment would need to be set aside having wrongfully been entered.

Once the strike out application has been disposed of i.e. if the judge has decided not to strike out your claim, you would be entitled to request default judgment against the defendant. You would need to be quick because until you request default judgment, there is time for the defendants to file a defence. That said, if the application requires a hearing you could ask the judge to give default judgment there and then following the dismissal of the strike out on the basis no defence has been filed.
          If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
          LEGAL DISCLAIMER
          Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by deband1980 View Post
            Yes and if the application has been accepted with the appropriate fee paid expect your summary judgement to be refused until the application has been dealt with.

What grounds are they applying to strike out on?
            COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Originally posted by R0b View Post

The answer goes back to my point above. Yes, they can in theory make an application to strike out but it is dangerous to do so because normally a strike out would be issued at some point after acknowledgment but before directions questionnaire has been filed.

I have not been able to see anything specific for strike out applications from a quick glance but at CPR 12.3(3) says the following:

So I am assuming that the application for strike out is being processed and until such a time you cannot request default judgment. If default judgment is granted then you would open yourself up to costs because the judgment would need to be set aside having wrongfully been entered.

Once the strike out application has been disposed of i.e. if the judge has decided not to strike out your claim, you would be entitled to request default judgment against the defendant. You would need to be quick because until you request default judgment, there is time for the defendants to file a defence. That said, if the application requires a hearing you could ask the judge to give default judgment there and then following the dismissal of the strike out on the basis no defence has been filed.
              Thanks Rob, I have not received as such, a strike out application sealed by the Court and I have asked the Defendant and the Court to provide proof that the fee and application has been lodged and thereafter issued.by the Court.

What is very annoying is that the Court are aware of the fact that I requested judgement in default last year, when the Defendants failed to provide an acknowledgement of service and subsequent defence.

The Defendants have alleged that they did not receive my particulars of claim so they did not have to file a defence, evidently they did receive the particulars.

The fact that they signed for the particular of claim and Royal Mail have provided data that they received this on the date they claim they did not receive the particulars demonstrates that this was a misrepresentation.

I also filed a certificate of service confirming that I had provided the Defendants the particulars of claim.

This significant fact seems to have been brushed aside.

Comment

Originally posted by jaguarsuk View Post

Yes and if the application has been accepted with the appropriate fee paid expect your summary judgement to be refused until the application has been dealt with.

What grounds are they applying to strike out on?
                Thanks for reply, appreciated.

The Defendants grounds are that there is no prospect of me winning the case.

This despite the Defendants making false representation for a period of near on two years, and without a legitimate contract as to represent and profit from false misrepresentation.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X