• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Requesting removing article from internet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Requesting removing article from internet

Firstly apologies for the long post. I would to know if I can legally request the removal of a damaging article from a local newspaper which appears on line when either my name or my ex’s name is searched. It is about 5 years old. The article is about me, which I accept as I was charged/convicted, but it also names and shames my ex partner who was not charged, but merely associated to me. It has, and continues to damage his prospects, career and reputation.
    Background: I was wrongly accused of benefit fraud back in 2010. I got a solicitor who advised me not to appeal and furnish them with information, but to take it to court and they would fight my corner then. At every step of the way, my solicitors told me evidence was circumstantial and they would make it go away at court. It eventually went to Crown Court, was on the warned list and on the Friday, solicitor’s office called to say I would be in court on the Monday...and that my solicitor, who I had built a trusting relationship with, would not be attending, but I would be appointed one from Chambers. I freaked and they agreed to send a paralegal to accompany me for moral support on day one - I felt the rug was pulled from under me At court on the Monday, I spoke to new solicitor who admitted that all papers faxed/emailed to him over the weekend had either failed or was incomplete, so he was going to defend me using my statement only. Never having been in any trouble before, I assumed that all possible would be done for me by my new solicitor and had no option to put complete trust in him. During the trial, it became very apparent that new solicitor was inexperienced as I could see how the court staff treated him, sniggering and rolling eyes behind his back as he fought my case. It dawned on me months later that none of my witnesses were called and no supporting documents given to my lawyers to prove my innocence were brought to court to assist in my defence. The prosecution had a year to build his case, my guy had hours and never had (or used) the 'help' at his disposal. No surprise, I was found guilty. Absolutely floored, shocked and now with no faith in the judicial system, I decided not to appeal as this had consumed my life for the past year and I needed to draw a line under it and move on. I was a working mum to two teenage girls 13 and 16 and sole carer for mum with cancer and dad with dementia. Just a day or so before sentencing, I received an email from my solicitors attaching a report stating grounds for appeal, which they had sat on for a few weeks – I wished I had seen it sooner as it may have given me confidence to appeal. But as I had made up my mind, wanting to move on, I decided not to appeal (I regretted that later). I was sentenced to 30 weeks suspended, 120 hours community payback and was tagged for about 6 months plus had to pay costs and repay income support and council tax previously claimed. Thankfully I never applied for housing benefit – my ex used to pay the mortgage to keep roof over the kids heads. I plunged into depression and went on autopilot. Some months later, I was at court for liability order for back council tax and the council officer who had dealt with my case couldn’t believe how my case had gone against me and suggested I contact Legal Ombudsman, which I did, and although they said I would have had a case against my lawyers, the time had passed that enabled me to do so. So I was stuck.
    Anyway back to article. When sentenced, my case appeared in the local paper and because my ex had success as a musician in a well known band many, many years prior, let’s just say they went to town, naming him, his band and his works. He wasn’t even charged - yet his good name was dragged down by this article. This article is still on line and has no doubt damaged his prospects, career and reputation and has been unable to find decent work since.
    My conviction was officially spent last year, and this is the only thing that is holding both he and I back, not allowing me/him to move forward. We both work at minimum wage jobs, although capable of much more, but every time either myself or my ex apply for jobs fitting to our skills and experience, Google spits this article out and damages any prospect of employment. I would like to know if there is any legal way I can get it taken down, or do I just have to write to the webmaster at the newspaper and appeal to their ‘good nature’? And if that is the way to go are there any legal arguments I can use to persuade them to take it down?
    If you've got this far, thanks for sticking with me.
    Last edited by FrancesP; 10th March 2016, 20:01:PM.
    Tags: None

Re: Requesting removing article from internet

Hiya

Sounds a like an awful experience and I'm not suprised you lost faith in the legal system, sadly I don't think your story is uncommon.

There is the right to be forgotten request available to you to remove the URL from google (UK) however that doesn't solve things permanently. https://forget.me/faq has some help with that.

I did look up the rules on court reporting for someone a while back, and once a charge/conviction had been spent then newspaper publishers are obliged to remove it. I'll see if I can dig out the info for you xx

Welcome to the forum

Sharon
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

http://hub.unlock.org.uk/knowledgeba...records-media/

that's not what I was looking for but may be of interest - there is a thread somewhere on here...

That article though does include a lot of the things we discussed on it though

Ah ha think I have it - looks like we looked at the same and another article then too http://hub.unlock.org.uk/finally-cha...th-march-2014/

The ICO are already looking at it for dpa issues under rehabilitation of offenders act 1974 and the newspaper that published the court List originally are involved. New rules came in last March that were retrospective.
      So it would be a letter to the newspaper asking them to remove your name and details from the t'interweb that reference the conviction.
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Yes I did look into the Google Right to be Forgotten, but I think I read that you have to re do it every 90 days....plus it's not a real solution as there are other search engines.
        And yes it was an awful experience...and 5 years on I still get emotional, even when writing about it.
        Thank you, Sharon.

Comment

Sorry if I'm wrong but if the offence was 2010 with sentence in 2011. I think ROA specifies 4 years from end of sentence so will be 4.5 years ish from sentencing . Is that right

Comment

Sentenced Sept 2010. 4 years plus the 30 weeks, I believe.
            Last edited by FrancesP; 10th March 2016, 21:43:PM.

Comment

If I quote ROA.... source http://hub.unlock.org.uk/knowledgeba...records-media/
              Would that be okay to put to the publication? And is there anything else anyone might suggest?
              Thanks
              Under the ROA, when a conviction has become spent, it is as though, for most purposes, it has never occurred. You are not obliged to disclose a spent conviction, and you should not be prejudiced as a result of one. This means that in law, for a media organisation to report your spent conviction amounts to an untruth, meaning that they are open to accusations of defamation.

Comment

The problem is that it was reported as a 'public interest' news story as opposed to simply a 'court report' - and it was reported while the conviction was still live - All you can do is write to the paper requested they remove your names from the story and outline that your conviction is past spent now and detail how having the story available on the internet is affecting you. I'd try a friendly approach first of all, as they may be happy to remove it from being indexed on Google themselves, or even remove it from their site. If they come back negatively to that then a right to be forgotten approach to Google and a stronger letter to the paper - but I'd try nice first as there isn't a great deal legally available to you.
                #staysafestayhome

Comment

Gotta be worth a shot. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by FrancesP View Post
                    Sentenced Sept 2010. 4 years plus the 30 weeks, I believe.
                    Yes you would be absolutely correct
                    The query came about because you said
                    Charged 2010
                    Took a year to come to court which would have made it 2011

I know how slow the process is in the criminal justice system with adjournments between hearings and often before sentencing , it can take months between the plea/verdict and the sentence
                    Glad it is cleared up
                    Must be a weight of your mind now that it is spent , one good thing that the coalition did. Bravo Ken Clarke

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X