• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

** SORTED ** 1 Month Free Trial, now locked in - Racing UK

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ** SORTED ** 1 Month Free Trial, now locked in - Racing UK

Hello all,

I do hope I have posted this in the correct forum, I couldn't really find another place for it.

I wonder if anyone can help please.

On the 21st November I decided to try out a "1 month free trial offer" from a TV subscription service - Racing UK, as I like to watch the racing on TV. It was free for the first month then £20 a month if I continued. I understood that if I didn't want to continue with the service that I simply had to cancel after the first month. I rang them on the 23rd December to cancel, as I really wasn't getting the use out of it.

I clearly hadn't read the T&C's carefully enough (yes, I know stupid of me) but it appeared that they stated unless I cancelled within 14 days, I was obliged to run with a 12 month contract - OUCH!

Here is a link to their T&C's - thought better to link rather than paste on here?

http://www.racinguk.com/about-us/terms-and-conditions

The relevant section is section 8, ending the contract.

Can anyone help me to understand of there is any way at all to get out of this contract?

I would appreciate any help at all, thank you...

Neil.
    Tags: None

Re: 1 Month Free Trial, now locked in - Racing UK

Quite LONG those cancellation terms aren't they ? They don't seem particular geared to this 1 month trial though - are there any others specifically for the free trial - or do you have copy of the advert you signed up from ?

when you signed up did you receive an email or letter with the terms attached ?( not just a link to them on the page you've posted a link to )

8. Ending the Contract

You may cancel this Contract within the 14 day statutory cooling-off period. In such circumstances, the Connection Fee will not be refundable, and you will be charged for the number of days for which you have received the Service. After such period, unless Conditions 8(a) (b) or (f) apply, this Contract will stay in force for at least the Minimum Term.

The Contract will otherwise continue unless it is ended according to the Conditions below.

(a) If we reduce or vary significantly the total amount of programmes available on the Channel within, or the level of service of, your chosen Option, or change the terms and conditions to your detriment, you may end this Contract by giving us a minimum of one month’s notice in writing or by telephone within 30 days of the change in programmes or level of service or terms and conditions as applicable.

(b) If you break any of the Conditions of this Contract, or act in a way towards our staff or agents which we reasonably consider to be inappropriate we can immediately terminate the Contract at any time (including during the Minimum Term). We can also terminate this Contract at any time (including during the Minimum Term) if we cease to broadcast, distribute or otherwise supply the Channel for any reason. If we do this during any Minimum Term and the effect of this change is to reduce significantly the total amount of programmes available on the Channel within, or the level of service of, your chosen Option, you may end this Contract by giving us one month’s notice in writing or by telephone and if you have paid annually in advance then at your request, we will refund you a pro-rata amount of any Subscription Payment in respect of the period after the date of cancellation.

(c) Except where you break the Conditions of this Contract, or where we cease to broadcast, distribute or otherwise supply any Channel for any reason, we will not terminate this Contract during the Minimum Term. We may during that period and later vary this Contract and the Service in the ways described in this Contract. We may terminate this Contract after the Minimum Term by giving you two months’ notice.

(d) If you or we end this Contract, we will block the entitlement to the Service on your Viewing Card and you will not be entitled to receive the Service.

(e) We will not refund any Subscription Payments or other payments made under this Contract if we end this Contract because you have broken the Conditions. If during the Minimum Term you end this Contract (other than when you have a right to do so) or we end it because you have broken the Conditions, you will have to compensate Racing UK for any reasonable loss or costs we suffer as a result which loss or costs shall include without limitation all Subscription Payments payable by you to Racing UK for the full Minimum Term.

(f) Notwithstanding any term to the contrary set out herein you shall have the right to terminate this Contract by giving us notice in writing or by telephone (i) during the period described in Condition 2(c) if within any Minimum Term the Subscription Payment shall increase for any reason described in Conditions 2(c) and/or 4 or (ii) during the period described in Condition 8(a) if during the Minimum Term, the amount of Programming shall change for any reason described in Conditions 3(a) and/or 3(b) and these changes amount to a significant reduction in the Service provided.

(g) For the avoidance of doubt, the Connection Fee is non-refundable if the Contract is terminated in accordance with the above Conditions.

(g) Once the Minimum Term has expired you may end the Contract by giving us a minimum of one month’s notice in writing or by telephone.

NB When the Contract ends for any of the reasons set out above, you will no longer receive the Channel either on television (or online if you have paid annually in advance.).
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Full terms and conditions
      Free trial period is only available to new residential Racing UK customers who join until 9pm Wednesday, November 25, 2015. Offer is not valid for customers who have previously taken up a free trial in 2015. Offer is not available to cable customers due to data restrictions.

Free trial period duration is from time of sign up for one month. This offer cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer and is limited to one per household. There is no monetary alternative.
      Please note that customers need to call the Racing UK customer service team on 0344 855 2977 between 9am and 5pm from Monday to Friday no later than 30 days after the free trial commences if they do not wish to continue their Racing UK viewing. A cancellation request must be made via phone, email is not permitted.
      The free trial period will automatically revert to the standard full price subscription of £22.98 (UK) / €28.60 (ROI) per month at the end of the free trial period if not cancelled within this timeframe. After the free trial period expires, customers who remain active and who have not cancelled within the timeframe referred to earlier will be subject to a 12-month minimum term.
      Please note if you do not cancel, it is possible that payment for the following month may be taken before your free trial expires.
      For technical reasons, any changes made to your selected devices after your initial selection may result in your free trial being void and payment being taken.

http://www.racinguk.com/news/article...enham-for-free

Comment

I did not receive an email or a letter at the time of signing. I was looking for the offer T&C's but kindly enaid has posted them above.

Really stupid of me I know, looks like I'm locked in right?

Comment

On reading that you were in the time scale I reckon you cancelled on day 24 of the 30 allowed, the most imo they can charge you is the extra month

Please note if you do not cancel, it is possible that payment for the following month may be taken before your free trial expires

It does state you can not cancel by email only by phone, that's a bit naff imo, do you still have proof of the call date and time on your phone?
          You could ring them quote the T&Cs and say as you were within the 30 days why have they stated 14 days?

Comment

No I think I phoned after 32 days...

I joined on the 21st November, and rang to cancel on the 23rd December.

Comment

oops sorry I missed a week off the calender, I does state if you 'remain active'? If you haven't I would try another call and see if you can cancel.

Comment

yes I see that 'remain active' term, I did not use the service after the 23rd December, could tat be a potential loophole?

Comment

Not so much a loop hole but as they stated 14 days and it is 30 they may take a month and let you off for the rest of the contract, if you weren't active and only 2 days late

Comment

Were you not actually sent the T&Cs that enaid posted up?

Comment

Originally posted by EXC View Post
                      Were you not actually sent the T&Cs that enaid posted up?

If you click on the link where I posted the T&Cs they are on the bottom of the add for the trial

Comment

Originally posted by enaid View Post
                        If you click on the link where I posted the T&Cs they are on the bottom of the add for the trial
                        Indeed but they must be provided to customers in a durable medium.

Comment

Originally posted by EXC View Post
                          Indeed but they must be provided to customers in a durable medium.
                          Even for the free trial ?

Comment

Originally posted by enaid View Post
                            Even for the free trial ?
                            Of course, think Kelly's Vegies.

Comment

Originally posted by neilkav View Post
                              I did not receive an email or a letter at the time of signing.
                              in reply to...
                              Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                              when you signed up did you receive an email or letter with the terms attached ?( not just a link to them on the page you've posted a link to )
                              xxx
                              #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X