• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

What possible document?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What possible document?

As a 10 year old boy I was asked to sign a document in a Scottish solicitor's office. The document related to money or value in some way but I was not permitted to see it (the solicitor was not happy to do this)
    Question: What document would require a 10 year old's signature?

Ken
    Tags: None

Re: What possible document?

Do you know which solicitors it was and have you tried contacting them to find out ?
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

no idea do you know which solicitor and how long ago was this . Solicitors tend to hold onto documents . If they have it and it has your signature on it you have right to see the document . It sounds fishy to me .

Comment

Solicitor's son claims docs destroyed. Probably not in his interest to help as his father and mine were involved in some shady business together.

Comment

If you have the name an address of the solicitors, you could make
          a Subject Access Request under the provisions of the Data Protection
          Act 1998, requesting any/all personal data the solicitors hold on you.
          There is a £10.00 statutory fee for this and the solicitor has 40 days to comply.
          Much will depend on how much time has elapsed since the " document"
          was signed.

Was this just you, your father and the solicitor together?

nem

Comment

Originally posted by nemesis45 View Post
            If you have the name an address of the solicitors, you could make
            a Subject Access Request under the provisions of the Data Protection
            Act 1998, requesting any/all personal data the solicitors hold on you.
            There is a £10.00 statutory fee for this and the solicitor has 40 days to comply.
            Much will depend on how much time has elapsed since the " document"
            was signed.

Was this just you, your father and the solicitor together?

nem
            The solicitor has given several differing responses to my request for the document one of which is that he destroys all documents after seven years.

It was just the three of us but I was told to leave for a few minutes while my father persuaded the solicitor to act as signatory even though I was unaware what the document contained

Comment

Is a 10 year old child legally competent to sign or witness documents?
              Age of criminal responsibility in Scotland is 8 years (but cannot be prosecuted if under 12) (i think)

What purpose could there be in having a 10 year old sign anything? (other than to pretend it was a genuine witness signature)

Comment

Originally posted by k333n View Post
                The solicitor has given several differing responses to my request for the document one of which is that he destroys all documents after seven years.

It was just the three of us but I was told to leave for a few minutes while my father persuaded the solicitor to act as signatory even though I was unaware what the document contained
                If the Solicitor is still in practice and you believe that there was some form of " wrong doing" being covered up you could take the matter to the Solicitors Regulation Authority and see what it says about getting information.

nem

Comment

Exactly what I would like to know. All I could gather was that this was a way of protecting the family 'money' and that I was not to tell a soul.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by des8 View Post
                  Is a 10 year old child legally competent to sign or witness documents?
                  Age of criminal responsibility in Scotland is 8 years (but cannot be prosecuted if under 12) (i think)

What purpose could there be in having a 10 year old sign anything? (other than to pretend it was a genuine witness signature)
                  Exactly what I would like to know. All I could gather was that this was a way of protecting the family 'money' and that I was not to tell a soul.

Comment

Originally posted by nemesis45 View Post
                    If the Solicitor is still in practice and you believe that there was some form of " wrong doing" being covered up you could take the matter to the Solicitors Regulation Authority and see what it says about getting information.

nem
                    The solicitor is dead but his son carries on the practice. The son has given several responses e.g. We did not deal with your family 2.We have destroyed your records 3. Your records may be in my basement but that would take a long time to look through
                    Proving that the document still existed would be a fairly long shot.

Comment

Essentially, as des8 suggests, what can you hide and how, using a ten year old either, for instance, as a recipient, trustee or beneficiary etc?

Comment

most likely to my mind is that the 10 year old is in some say the beneficiary of trust or sum of money signing usee over t parents but is legal owner of money . so if parents go bust the money is still safe.

Comment

Originally posted by seduraed View Post
                          most likely to my mind is that the 10 year old is in some say the beneficiary of trust or sum of money signing usee over t parents but is legal owner of money . so if parents go bust the money is still safe.
                          That would fit with the circumstances and remember the 10 year old was not allowed too know what he was signing. The trust or money etc is discovered by a sibling with PoA, many years later. The sibling suspects that no one knows about the tust/money anymore but it has now passed into the keeping of the mother who is also unaware of it as the same sibling, using PoA, deals with her estate.

The sibling then revokes PoA and can empty the trust or account with money fraudulently under the mothers name. Once the mother has passed on there will be no trail back to the sibling or the funds.
                          How can I look up records of the trust (private) or sum of money?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X