• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Are these Solicitor fees legal??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Are these Solicitor fees legal??

Originally posted by enquirer View Post
    You are liable for the bill - it was 90 minutes after all - even though his rate is on the high side. If the estate is fairly simple, then £3500 for dealing with the whole matter is ridiculous, particularly when it is extremely likely that someone else will actually do the work. Using cheap junior staff (or even students), whilst charging for a partner, is a common dodge.

You could protest that it was not actually 90 minutes. Hinting that you might dispute the total may induce a little flexibility. Pay the final bill and get hold of the Will. Then you can go elsewhere.
    Personally I wouldn't, unless they could demonstrate that their rate of charges were displayed prior to the service being taken.

I think I would make a reasonable offer, being a solicitor though most will just pay up, as they are afraid of the threatened repercussions of not doing so

Comment

Originally posted by enquirer View Post
      You are liable for the bill -You could be liable for A bill (debatable) it was 90 minutes after all - even though his rate is on the high side. Which should have been communicated to the OP in advance. If the estate is fairly simple, then £3500 for dealing with the whole matter is ridiculous, particularly when it is extremely likely that someone else will actually do the work. Using cheap junior staff (or even students), whilst charging for a partner, is a common dodge. Very True - and the OP should have been given the option of different pricing scales for different levels of seniority. There is also an onus on the firm to provide effective senior supervision for junior/trainee staff who are charged at a much lower hourly rate.

You could protest that it was not actually 90 minutes. Hinting that you might dispute the total may induce a little flexibility. Pay the final bill and get hold of the Will. Then you can go elsewhere.
      You could argue that - and you could argue that, had you known the clock was ticking, you would not have spent a good proportion of the time on idle chit-chat to be polite.

Personally, I would definitely lodge an official complaint and see what transpires.

Comment

I think the best thing would be for the OP to contact ('phone) the LOS and/orSRA for accurate and impartial advice, as a first recourse, ASAP.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X