• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Property question please help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Property question please help

Is an indoor pet cat classed as property in law ?
    Tags: None

Re: Property question please help

Blimey, that is a question. I presume there is some reason behind it, bailiffs ?

Yes, under common law cats are classed as being property, but if you are concerned over bailiffs then there are different rules for pets, as opposed to say your TV.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Tweetyandme View Post
      Is an indoor pet cat classed as property in law ?
      A domestic pet cat, No!

Further, there are so many domestic pet cat's looking for good homes. Very sad in these difficult financial times...

Comment

The taking of a pet by a bailiff can be seen as causing stress and anxiety to the owner and not in the best interests of the animal.

Furthermore it could also be seen as causing punishment to the owner and not being there purely to collect a debt.

Either way it is shocking to think that a bailiff would stoop so low.
        If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of payments.

sigpic

Comment

Covert practices; intended to cause stress.

Comment

Well according to this forum which relates to dogs but I would imagine would apply equally to cats is that the animal would have to have some value i.e a pure breed for instance.

http://www.champdogsforum.co.uk/board/topic/86556.html

To be honest I cannot see any value in a cat unless it was a rare breed taking into account kennel costs.

sigpic

Comment

Cattery, PF.

The whole suggestion is, 'Ridiculous' and simply scare mongering;
              an attempt to frighten/harass.

Comment

Thank You Angry CAT I stand corrected lol you can tell I'm a dog owner and not a cat owner hehe

But beautiful animals in there own right still.

sigpic

Comment

oops, I only mentioned bailiffs as a possible reason Tweety had asked the original question.

Legally, under common law, a pet (ie not ferral) cat is classed as property.
                  #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

As Ame has pointed out, we don't actually know that the bailiffs are threatening to remove the cat.

Cats are not classed as property as such. for example, if they were stolen in a burglary, contents insurance wouldn't cover the theft,
                    Is no longer here

Comment

That depends on your policy Wends, some do cover theft of pets (as some are very valuable) but others exclude theft of pets specifically (and you have to take out seperate insurance for it) but generally in common law Cats are classed as property.
                      #staysafestayhome

Comment

I meant generally speaking with regard to insurance, if your house insurance covered it it wouldn't be as standard, it would be an add-on extra. Specific pet insurance would always be better, when you take out pet insurance you can opt for theft to be covered, or not, and tailor the policy to which bits you want and which bits you don't. Not sure if bailiffs nicking the cat would come under theft on a pet insurance policy though??? It's probably not something that comes up very often so probably not in the T & C's lol.
                        Is no longer here

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X