• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Restarting a claim originally done via EU cross border procedure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks. Do you think I could serve as new UK claim based on the same facts and then cancel the cross border claim, without a problem? Are those two different legal courses classed as different i.e. wouldn't be second bite of the cherry?

Comment

I would not do that. You have started a case, and only in some parallel universe would bringing a second one on the same facts not be a second bite at the cherry.
      Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Interesting development - defendant now states that I "did not serve the claim form and particulars of claim".

Basically because the Spanish airline Vueling sent the claim back, saying it was not in Spanish (it was, they lied).

We were in the process of having official certified translations sent when they issued a defence in response to the claim. Which wouldn't have been possible unless they made a copy of it before returning it.

Now stating they want it struck out as not served properly.

My question - if they reject that it was ever served, then can I reserve as a new UK claim now? Without coming unstuck?

Comment

Anyone know?

Comment

You clearly think you served the claim form and POC. Please give details of when and how you did this.

Did the defence clearly respond to the POC?
            Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

That's the thing/ the whole point of the protracted mess is that they rejected service and could not respond. Yet when the application for default was made they suddenly came up with a defence which means they must have read the originally served POC as this is the only time they were ever sent them by anyone at court.

Now they are saying the claim needs to be struck out as being incorrectly served, and ALSO that they rely on their filed defence for why it should be struck out...

Comment

Are they also applying to strike out on grounds that you have no cause of action or similar? Or do they solely rely on the service point?

You have not answered my first question in post 20.

Comment

THIS: they solely rely on the service point.

Also, the claim was a EU cross border claim. We went to a lot of trouble, the Court and I, liaising with the foreign process section, over a year, to ensure correct service of the claim i.e. in Spanish. For example, the first time I sent it to the foreign process section, they returned it precisely because there was no Spanish version. So doing their due diligence.

When I got the Spanish version to the foreign process section, they were satisfied, served the equivalent Spanish legal representative, who then served Vueling.

However, what happened next is that they accepted the service, then opened it and then returned it to the UK foreign process section, without going through the proper process for returning it, merely stating it was in the incorrect language and so could not be responded to, when it was only the exhibits which were not, but this is because exhibits must not be translated anyway!

So for the last year the court and I have been getting official translations sorted to serve Vueling again. In particular we sent them a Spanish translation of my application for default judgment as Vueling have blown their chance to file a defence to the claim.

And so now, in response:

"they are saying the claim needs to be struck out as being incorrectly served, and ALSO that they rely on their filed defence for why it should be struck out..."

Comment

Small bump

Comment

Respond with your full evidence of correct service, plus D's acknowledgement of service and Defence. Remember that it is the judge hearing the application who will decide. The other party is attempting to persuade him or her, as are you.

Comment

I have just seen this case summary in the 'Civil Litigation Brief' blog: https://www.civillitigationbrief.com...anctions-too/#

I hope it helps.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X