• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Joint criminal liability

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joint criminal liability

If someone gets provoked through a breach of peace to hit someone else and hits them and they aren't extreme. They hit them in arms and push them over. That person leaves them and doesn't intend for any additional harm to be caused.

If someone else hits the same person. But they seriously injure the person.

​​​​​​And someone else watches but doesn't take part or encourage violence.

​​The first person to hit would be convicted for assault. The second person to hit would be convicted for GBH. Unless you can be convicted for being present and not calling an ambulance then I believe the bystander wouldn't be convicted.
    ​​​​​
    Would the first person to hit be convicted for the second person's actions? Would the bystander be convicted for not calling an ambulance? Is some kind of agreement to do something that is illegal required for there to be any shared liability between the defendants?
    Tags: None

The first person may claim self defence. No certainty of conviction of either party. Is this a student question by any chance or a real event?

Comment

A curious question. I don't think just being provoked is classes as self defence but it might make them less liable if the said person was seriously injured or dead.

Comment

Don't see why it is a curious question. Is this a real event or not? Re self defence / provocation - have a look at our sentencing guidelines - provocation is certainly a mitigating factor and perhaps the victim attacked first during the breach of the peace - we know nothing of the circumstances
        • Significant degree of provocation
        https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk...rgency-worker/

Still need to know if this is real

Comment

I meant the event isn't real. By provoked, I meant the person who was hit being told not to harress people and instead of stopping, shows threatening body language and facial expression. That may or may not be a mitigating factor but I'm mainly wondering how liable that first person is for the more serious actions of the second person. And how liable someone is if they saw it happen and didn't do anything.

Comment

Sorry I am a magistrate not a lawyer - a few here are though so hopefully stand by for advice!

Comment

Can I repeat an earlier question: are you a student asking this question for the purposes of coursework or similar?
              Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

I am not a student. The purpose of why I'm asking is hard to explain. The event isn't real but I know someone with special needs and they can react to provocation in a way that could attracts the police's attention. No violence but if the provocation was bad enough, it could escalate.

Comment

As stated in my signature, I do not advise by private message.

Maybe now that you are beginning to explain what this is actually about, someone will feel able to make some observations.
                  Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X