• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Claire’s law police given my girlfriend now ex information

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Claire’s law police given my girlfriend now ex information

Hi. I am just after advice wether what has happened is allowed. Long story short, about 12 years ago my dog was dying of heart failure and after having scans, vet appointments plus all the medication he was on, I was paying about £1000 a month. I have never got on with my mum but she said I should move back home and pay her £200 a month in rent instead of the £700 on my house to save money towards vet costs, I did, upon moving home I paid the £200 gave up my house and the next month my mum upped the rent to £700 a month. I wasn’t handling my dog dying very well so just paid her, she knew I had nowhere else to live and started having me clean the house, walk her dog etc, if I refused she told me I had to leave her house and she would ring the police, on one occasion she rang them four times in a day, first was to ask to police to ask me to leave the house but I left before they arrived, she then rang me telling me to go home which I did, upon arriving she asked me again was I going to walk her dog I refused so she rang the police a second time that day so I left again, then she rang me asking me to go and collect my dog from hers which I did, upon getting to the house it was locked, I phoned her and she said she was in the bath and I’d have to wait but she had rang the police a third time that day saying I was at her door, they arrived me at the door and I shown them her call on my phone they accepted and left but told me not to return that day, then my mum rang me saying she wasn’t giving my dog his heart medication, it was pure mental abuse I just didn’t know what to do so I went back to give him his heart medication and she rang the police a fourth time that day, this happened over the months I was there and the calls built up. My dog then died and that night she wanted me to throw away his bed bowls and toys I refused saying he had died that day I wasn’t ready, she rang the police saying I wasn’t letting her tidy up her house so I left before they got there, whilst I was gone she took all my dogs stuff to the waste disposal centre. I didn’t handle his death well she was having me give her money all the time, having me get her finance, catalogs, mobile phones, credit card, I was repaying all the repayments, I was bad in debt, she asked me to lend her money one day I refused and to save an argument I left the property, she kept ringing and I didn’t answer she text me she had contacted the police as she feared for my safety, the police rang me and said I had to see them to show I was mentally well, I explained my mum was after money and I had ignored the phone to her and they were happy after visiting me at my friends. Fast forward a few years till last year and I met this amazing girl, I was happy for the first time in a long time, it was difficult at first, she was hot and cold for months finally opened up about her ex being abusive to her for years and I was patient with her. She stayed at mine Friday till yesterday (Sunday and we had a lovely weekend, she joked when was I going to propose to her asked wether I’d ever want a child in future (she already has kids I don’t) I told her I would. She went home yesterday but unbeknown to me she had applied to the police about my history and they called her in. The police woman told her I had a number of calls on me made by my mum, the police woman said I had never done anything serious but that it was on my record regarding my mental health, they didn’t say it was just when my mum wanted money and I wouldn’t answer the phone so my mum made up lies to get me to contact her, and said police had been called because my mum had moved something of mine, didn’t say his mum had disposed of his dogs stuff the day his dog died. And the police woman said imagine if you moved in together and moved his stuff and he argued with you over it, and the police woman said to her your a smart girl use your brain. She left the police station rang me and broke up the relationship. Is what the police did legal

sorry for the grammar
    Thank you
    Tags: None

never mind the grammar, paragraph breaks would help make that screed readable.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

I do apologise. Is there anyway I can edit my post

Comment

Hi. I am just after advice wether what has happened is allowed. Long story short, about 12 years ago my dog was dying of heart failure and after having scans, vet appointments plus all the medication he was on, I was paying about £1000 a month. I have never got on with my mum but she said I should move back home and pay her £200 a month in rent instead of the £700 on my house to save money towards vet costs.

I moved back home, first month paid the £200 rent, gave up my house and the next month my mum upped the rent to £700 a month. I wasn’t handling my dog dying very well so just paid her, she knew I had nowhere else to live. She then started having me clean the house, walk her dog, clean her dog kennels etc, if I refused she told me I had to leave her house and she would ring the police, on one occasion she rang them four times in a day, first was to ask to police to ask me to leave the house but I left before they arrived, she then rang me telling me to go home which I did, upon arriving she asked me again was I going to walk her dog I refused so she rang the police a second time that day so I left again, then she rang me asking me to go and collect my dog from hers which I did, upon getting to the house it was locked, I phoned her and she said she was in the bath and I’d have to wait but she had rang the police a third time that day saying I was at her door, they arrived me at the door and I shown them her call on my phone they accepted and left but told me not to return that day, then my mum rang me saying she wasn’t giving my dog his heart medication, it was pure mental abuse I just didn’t know what to do so I went back to give him his heart medication and she rang the police a fourth time that day

This happened over the months I was there and the calls built up. My dog then died and that night she wanted me to throw away his bed bowls and toys I refused saying he had died that day I wasn’t ready, she rang the police saying I wasn’t letting her tidy up her house so I left before they got there, whilst I was gone she took all my dogs stuff to the waste disposal centre.

I didn’t handle his death well she was having me give her money all the time, having me get her finance, catalogs, mobile phones, credit card, I was repaying all the repayments, I was bad in debt, she asked me to lend her money one day I refused and to save an argument I left the property, she kept ringing and I didn’t answer she text me she had contacted the police as she feared for my safety, the police rang me and said I had to see them to show I was mentally well, I explained my mum was after money and I had ignored the phone to her and they were happy after visiting me at my friends.

Fast forward a few years till last year and I met this amazing girl, I was happy for the first time in a long time, it was difficult at first, she was hot and cold for months finally opened up about her ex being abusive to her for years and I was patient with her. She stayed at mine Friday till yesterday (Sunday) and we had a lovely weekend, she joked when was I going to propose to her asked wether I’d ever want a child in future (she already has kids I don’t) I told her I would. She went home yesterday but unbeknown to me she had applied to the police about my history and they called her in. The police woman told her I had a number of calls on me made by my mum, the police woman said I had never done anything serious but that it was on my record regarding my mental health, they didn’t say it was just when my mum wanted money and I wouldn’t answer the phone so my mum made up lies to get me to contact her, and said police had been called because my mum had moved something of mine, didn’t say his mum had disposed of his dogs stuff the day his dog died. And the police woman said imagine if you moved in together and moved his stuff and he argued with you over it, and the police woman said to her your a smart girl use your brain. She left the police station rang me and broke up the relationship. Is what the police did legal

regards
        Chris

Comment

[crossed with OP's latest post]
          Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Hi. I am just after advice wether what has happened is allowed.

Long story short, about 12 years ago my dog was dying of heart failure and after having scans, vet appointments plus all the medication he was on, I was paying about £1000 a month. I have never got on with my mum but she said I should move back home and pay her £200 a month in rent instead of the £700 on my house to save money towards vet costs.

I moved back home, first month paid the £200 rent, gave up my house and the next month my mum upped the rent to £700 a month. I wasn’t handling my dog dying very well so just paid her, she knew I had nowhere else to live.

She then started having me clean the house, walk her dog, clean her dog kennels etc, if I refused she told me I had to leave her house and she would ring the police,

On one occasion she rang them four times in a day, first was to ask the police to ask me to leave the house but I left before they arrived, she then rang me telling me to go home which I did, upon arriving she asked me again was I going to walk her dog I refused so she rang the police a second time that day so I left again, then she rang me asking me to go and collect my dog from hers which I did, upon getting to the house it was locked, I phoned her and she said she was in the bath and I’d have to wait but she had rang the police a third time that day saying I was at her door, they arrived me at the door and I shown them her call on my phone they accepted and left but told me not to return that day, then my mum rang me saying she wasn’t giving my dog his heart medication, it was pure mental abuse I just didn’t know what to do so I went back to give him his heart medication and she rang the police a fourth time that day

This happened over the months I was there and the calls built up. My dog then died and that night she wanted me to throw away his bed bowls and toys I refused saying he had died that day I wasn’t ready, she rang the police saying I wasn’t letting her tidy up her house so I left before they got there, whilst I was gone she took all my dogs stuff to the waste disposal centre.

I didn’t handle his death well she was having me give her money all the time, having me get her finance, catalogs, mobile phones, credit card, I was repaying all the repayments, I was bad in debt, she asked me to lend her money one day I refused and to save an argument I left the property, she kept ringing and I didn’t answer she text me she had contacted the police as she feared for my safety, the police rang me and said I had to see them to show I was mentally well, I explained my mum was after money and I had ignored the phone to her and they were happy after visiting me at my friends.

Fast forward a few years till last year and I met this amazing girl, I was happy for the first time in a long time, it was difficult at first, she was hot and cold for months finally opened up about her ex being abusive to her for years and I was patient with her. She stayed at mine Friday till yesterday (Sunday) and we had a lovely weekend, she joked when was I going to propose to her asked wether I’d ever want a child in future (she already has kids I don’t) I told her I would.

She went home yesterday but unbeknown to me she had applied to the police about my history and they called her in. The police woman told her I had a number of calls on me made by my mum, the police woman said I had never done anything serious but that it was on my record regarding my mental health, they didn’t say it was just when my mum wanted money and I wouldn’t answer the phone so my mum made up lies to get me to contact her, and said police had been called because my mum had moved something of mine, didn’t say his mum had disposed of his dogs stuff the day his dog died. And the police woman said imagine if you moved in together and moved his stuff and he argued with you over it, and the police woman said to her your a smart girl use your brain. She left the police station rang me and broke up the relationship. Is what the police did legal

Comment

For the record I was never arrested or investigated. My mum did eventually get warned not to waste police time

Comment

OK, I know a lot of legal types won't like ChatGPT, but I do feel it could be useful both for question posters, as well as providing brief legal advice which would then be a starting point for a forum posts.

So, just as an experiment, I asked chatGPT: (Please note, I have GPT Pro, with "information sharing" turned off, so my queries are private)

"Can you reformat this message to make it much more concise. Remove any extraneous points which are not relevant to the question, reformat with paragraphs to make more readable. Extract any pertinent question and answer it if possible, based on UK law."
                I then pasted the original message from the first post.

ChatGPT replied as follows - and I think the relevant point is that "the data should be shared in a way that respects individual privacy rights".

Concise Version:

12 years ago, while dealing with my dog's health issues, I moved back into my mum's house to save money. However, my mother raised the rent, made me do chores and frequently threatened to call the police if I refused her demands. On numerous occasions, she did call the police. This period was very stressful and led to several police visits, and subsequent mental health checks, which have now been recorded in my history.

Fast forward to last year, I entered a relationship. My partner recently applied to the police for information about my past. The police disclosed details about the numerous calls from my mother and the mental health checks, which has led my partner to end our relationship.

My question is: was the police's action of disclosing my history legal under UK law?

Answer:

In the UK, under the Data Protection Act 2018 and GDPR, police can share data for law enforcement purposes, including personal history during background checks. However, the data should be shared in a way that respects individual privacy rights. If you believe the police have misrepresented the information, it would be best to consult a legal professional for advice. Note that this answer is based on general principles, and you should always seek professional legal advice for your specific situation.
                According to: https://nationallegalservice.co.uk/h...rtners-history

Clare’s Law is composed of two elements: the right to ask, and the right to know. The first element gives members of the public the right to request information about a potential abuser. The second allows police to disclose this information under some circumstances, helping to keep the public safe.

Through Clare’s Law, individuals have the right to see information that could help to keep them safe from the threat of domestic violence. Police are at liberty to dispense this information on a case-by-case basis, and can only disclose relevant information on the individual who is being investigated.

This could include prior convictions, prison sentences or cautions that indicate an abusive pattern.
                You say you were never arrested or investigated - I've not familiar with this particular law, but I would be extremely surprised if they were giving her this information. Were you cautioned? If not, you need to get to the bottom of this.

There is no automatic right for you to be informed that a disclosure request has been made about them.

On the other hand, under the UK's General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the Data Protection Act 2018, you do generally have the right to request information about the personal data that an organisation holds about you. This is known as a Subject Access Request (SAR). You can make a SAR to the police to find out what information they hold about you.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X