• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

***please help/share some advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ***please help/share some advice

situation is this:

1 man bought some scratchcards, paid with cash, then went to spend evening with 2 friends drinking beers etc. then 1 friend started checking cards - 1 was winning one - £300,000. he told they would all share as other times friend use to also buy some scratchcards. Friend kept the winning card, took all the money and kept it, spent some of it never shared/splitted. Man who bought cards dont have the receipt, speaks poorly in english. There was no agreement written regarding winning/potential prizes.
    He trusted his friend and got left with nothing, my question is what would you do if you were in his shoes ? Is there anything to do from legal standpoint ?

appreciate any help
    Tags: None

Is this a student question?
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
      sorry if its worded poorly, tried to describe it best i could while keeping it fairly simple, dont know nothing about law, the story is true i want to find out if there is anything that can be done and if so , where it should be started

Comment

Doubt anyone could make a claim, but anything is possible if there is money to be paid out to lawyers when loosing.

If a man heavily drinking in a pub makes some vague offer of friendship, I doubt it could be upheld in Court, After all, its his winnings and not any other persons. This would differ if there was a written agreement to share winnings in a circle of friends, but not the case her. Suggest that your friend forgets about this and concentrates on his own activity rather than trying to gain advantage of someone whilst they are drinking.

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
          I thought this too, I don't like to answer student questions because that defeats the point of the exercise the teacher has set them and whilst asking someone with more knowledge might be considered research, I think they need to be able to do it the old fashioned way.

For the OP, because I'm unsure whether or not this is a student question, I not going to provide a full answer. However, I will say that you should look at the parts needed to form a contract to consider whether any agreement could have possibly been reached and that who purchased the scratch cards is a red herring.
          COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

The true owner of the card may be able to report a theft to the police and to bring a civil claim under the tort of conversion for the return of his property (the scratchcard winnings). But proving it will be difficult. What does the other friend say? Will he give evidence?
            Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

thank you everyone for your replies, story is true, I used to do some minor electric jobs, computer repairs for the guy, we see each other every once in a while, last week i saw him and he told me about it i couldnt believe. Clearly he was played, his own character is a bit of disadvantage here, his english is very basic. He tried to dispute it with the guy who took the scratch card but thats all. The money has been paid out and at least some of it were spent (i think he said something about land or property). All i could think of is reporting to police and then somehow try to get cctv footage from the store where he bought scratchcard. There was oral agreement but thats agree to disagree i guess?,

Third guy dont involve himself in it from what i understood it looks like he got a slice for keeping quiet, could he be a key to move this if he agree to tell the truth?
              Last edited by antoine47; 10th June 2022, 19:34:PM.

Comment

Very doubtful, just get on with your life.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X