• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Audio Recording Law

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audio Recording Law

Hello,

The Police came to visit my son a few days ago at my home- it was plain clothes without bodycam - I started recording the conversation because the officer became really rude and confrontational (I got the officers permission even though I realise I may not need it since it’s my own home).

Anyway, my son didn’t admit to anything or do anything wrong however the police officer alleged my son was not being compliant; long story short, the officer wanted to seize my phone as it had the original recording. The officer started to threaten me with arrest if I don’t give her the phone and being really rude. So out of principle I said - fine arrest me but I’m not giving you my phone because the recording was for my and my sons safety. Eventually she back down and left.

So I just wanted to know what the law is surrounding this - can she legally seize my phone as evidence of a crime even though it’s just a recording for my own benefit?

Will she most likely obtain a warrant? Can a copy of the recording be made is she insists instead of the original?

thanks
    Tags: None

EDIT: Just to add some context, the Police had a legal right to visit my son at his home following a court order so I don’t think I can just ban them. My question was simply can they seize an original audio recording if they believe it’s useful in an investigation?

Comment

I don't think they can use your recording as evidence in your son's case. Also your son would have the right to have a solicitor present during a police recorded interview.

There are specific guidelines / protocols regarding recorded evidence.

https://assets.publishing.service.go...sible_v0.3.pdf

Comment

But don’t they have some PACE power to seize anything that might be relevant to their case? For example if they allege something he said can be used as evidence?

Whether the judge would admit the “evidence” is another issue. I was just wondering if they could use any PACE power to seize the phone purely for its audio purposes (either through arrest or a warrant).

another thing the officer mentioned is she would arrest me father for “obstruction” if he didn’t hand over the phone.

crazy!

Comment

Any admissions not made under caution will not be able to be used in evidence. Why would what was said be useful in an investigation?

Comment

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
            Any admissions not made under caution will not be able to be used in evidence. Why would what was said be useful in an investigation?
            Exactly', Anyway, my son didn’t admit to anything or do anything wrong however the police officer alleged my son was not being compliant'.

If the Officers were being 'threatening / intimidating' in any aspect of their visit, raise a formal complaint.

https://www.policeconduct.gov.uk/com...make-complaint

Comment

If they want a recording and there's nothing in criminating in the video why not offer them a copy?

They don't need to seize your phone.
              COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X