• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Hello again - private street lighting hit by delivery van

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, no need because ten minutes ago the insurer says....

"Please be advised that liability is admitted and we are willing to assist with rectifying the damage caused to your property.

We are able to instruct our own approved contractor to make contact with you and obtain an estimate for us. If you would like us to do so please confirm the best contact details to reach you on. We would also appreciate confirmation of who the owner of the property is and their VAT status.

If you would like to discuss anything further with us please do not hesitate to contact us on ***.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards,

Elliot | Claims Adjuster"

However - we would like to use our retained electrician, especially as they hold stock of the matching but discontinued light that a contractor will not be able to obtain.

How do we go about this? I suspect that there contractor will be dearer anyway, we are looking at about £500 here for an in-house job.

Can we simply agree to the estimate and if ours is less then simply ask to use our contractor instead? Or just insist on our own contractor?

Comment

You can insist on your own contractor if you like. It would probably add weight if you explained to them that the bollard light has since been discontinued but the contractor you currently retain currently holds stock of the discontinued light. Might be worth getting a price to carry out the works/installation and see what they say to that.

Less time and hassle chasing up the insurers.
      If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      LEGAL DISCLAIMER
      Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Just explain the position to their claims adjuster, stressing that you will require matching discontinued equipment which your contractor already holds and you are instructing him to proceed and you anticipate they will meet his costs in full.

Comment

Pleased to say all now resolved and with little argument full payment has been made to the usual electrician by the insurers, thanks again for all help and advice on this thread.

Comment

thanks for the update..... well done

Comment

You're not going to believe this - same again!

Amazon. Again. Same insurer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0042.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	1496342

Ah well, maybe I should just reply to the same person I was emailing before

Don't need any advice this time, just thought you'd all like to know!

At least the CCTV captures it better this time, including him stopping and making a lame attempt to 'fix' it!

Comment

time to move the lighting bollard (or protect it with landmines?)

Comment

I agree about moving it as an option, but, the issue is that moving it as opposed to replacing it would be an expense to residents - also there are about 25 more on the estate in varying states of 'prone-ness' but the fact is everyone seems to manage to avoid them - mostly! It was talked about changing it for a fully recessed 'airfield' style light but that might be a trip hazard, then it would be us being taken to the cleaners most likely

Comment

Ahh well, just let short sighted drivers bounce off it then!

Comment

I know, its a hard one, at least with the CCTV its at zero cost to residents (providing the vehicle is insured, I guess - does the MIB cover 'minor' damage to property?). The funny thing was that before the CCTV, in this location, it only happened one other time in ten years, that was the bin lorry who admitted it, and now have cab CCTV / banksman policies that actually seem well enforced. We've had others that have been hit by cars unknown, but in less busy locations and the bollards haven't been hit so hard and have been repairable, especially when they are against walls and fences and the odd reinforcing bracket or repair plate doesn't look so bad under the ivy...

Comment

I think that if the vehicle involved is identified there is no excess on property damage claims made to MIB, otherwise there is a £300 excess.
                        However my info might be out of date as it does change from time to time.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X