• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Macau based company after training debt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Macau based company after training debt

Hi folks

I owe a large training debt to a company based in Macau (SAR China). I was employed by them and signed a training agreement to say I would pay back the money if I left within 4 years. In other words a training bond. I left after 1 year due to personal reasons and because of all sorts of issues relating to a much lower than expected salary. They chased me once for the debt 1 year after leaving and then nothing. Now 6 years later their lawyers based in Macau have gotten in touch to say they can persue the matter through UK courts via their partnered UK based law firm and will do so if I dont pay back the debt.

My question is: Is there any bilateral agreement between the UK and Macau for this sort of thing? An ex colleague in Australia with the same issue did eventually receive a letter from Sydney based lawyers and coffed up but he's now in a very highly paid position so could afford it without a fight.

Thanks
    Tags: None

Here it would be time barred under the limitations act ( 6 years)

In China civil claims limitation period seems to be 3 years.

Is it Coyle White & Devine solicitors ? ( they deal with a lot of Dubai debts where limitations is 15 years )

Was the company a U.K. company with a branch in Macau or a Macau company ? Do you have a copy of the training agreement/contract?
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Thanks for the response. It is solely a Macau based company. I have no copies of the contact having destroyed all paper work only last year as part of a cleanup. The contract is legit under Macau law as they have successfully persued locals. I had to sign at a law firm's offices back in 2012. If that gives it any credence at all.

Comment

Does the Foreign Limitation Periods Act mean I am bound by whatever rule Macau has even though I am a UK citizen and resident in the UK?

Although I cannot find Macau's Limitation Periods for this kind of thing (Unless rules covering Commercial Code apply to a training bond?), I found an article which seems to suggest the limitation for commercial matters/sales is the same for HK, Macau and Taiwan and it is 3 years as of October 2017 (4 before that).

It's 6 years and 4 months since I resigned and this is the first I am hearing from a law firm although the company did originally ask for the money after 1 year. I therefore believe the law firm cannot pursue the matter even in Macau. Would be grateful for your views.

Thanks
        Last edited by nadj; 6th August 2019, 17:43:PM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X