• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Need Help... Fraud?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help... Fraud?

Hi all

I have an account with Very, an online catalogue-type company. I've got about £200 on my account which I regularly pay off (I hardly ever use it).

But things have been really tough lately in terms of business, so on Sunday, I made a new account with the purpose of getting 20% off my first order (bit cheeky but who hasn't done that with Amazon Prime?). I sat there with my accountant and neither of us thought there might be anything amiss.

Now, the other account is in my old name (I changed my name 5 years ago to my family name *long story*). I did speak to customer services about changing my name at the time, but for various reasons, it never happened and being so busy, it's the only place on earth where my name is different.

So I opened the account in my new name.

I got told today that I couldn't open a new account as there were issues with my identity.

Me being the worrying sort, I'm just so worried now that I've done something wrong and that this is all some kind of fraud and I'll get a letter saying they're taking action against me.

So, am I worrying or did I do something wrong, even though I opened an account in MY name and all the details were correct.

Appreciate advice as this will niggle at me for weeks to come.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!
    Tags: None

Had a quick look at Very T&Cs, and can't see anything about multiple accounts.
    Obviously discounts for new customers aren't aimed at existing customers, but a current advert just states:"Apply for a Very account and get 20% off your first credit order"
    Nothing at all about you have to be a new customer, so no reason why an existing customer shouldn't apply for a second account.

Why they can't verify your identity is probably just one of those things

They haven't lost anything, you don't seem to have done anything wrong (presumably no porkies on the application form) so no reason for this to go further.
    Sleep easy!

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post

They haven't lost anything, you don't seem to have done anything wrong (presumably no porkies on the application form) so no reason for this to go further.
      Sleep easy!
      Nope. All totally honest on the form. BUT A THANK YOU from me to putting my mind at rest.

Business very stressful so do NOT need this hanging over me.

You're a star for taking the time to do this for me.

I can't help with legal advice but will go help people with their doggies today to pay it forward.

Comment

Has your credit file updated to your new name? It might have just flagged up the link between your old name and new name when they did the credit search - does the letter/email say 'you already have an account' type thing ? I might be inclined to give them another ring about changing your name on the account and explaining to them you tried to open a new account because the name on the account is bugging you and could they explain to you how to get your name changed on the open account.
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
          Has your credit file updated to your new name? It might have just flagged up the link between your old name and new name when they did the credit search - does the letter/email say 'you already have an account' type thing ? I might be inclined to give them another ring about changing your name on the account and explaining to them you tried to open a new account because the name on the account is bugging you and could they explain to you how to get your name changed on the open account.
          I've not looked at my credit file since I changed my name. I'll have a have a look at it.

Thank you SO MUCH!!!

Comment

Free (and instant) access wise you can try Credit Karma ( Callcredit/Transunion) - Clearscore ( Equifax) - MSE Credit Club ( Experian) to cover all the credit reference agencies. If Very/Shop Direct is the only account you have still in your old name it should all be in order but any issues feel free to post up here
            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X