• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Could I legally make an acquaintance lose their graduate job?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could I legally make an acquaintance lose their graduate job?

An acquaintance of mine assaulted a friend of mine several months ago. The friend chose not to press any charges.

Several months later, the acquaintance assaulted someone else, far more viciously to the extent that blood was drawn. He was restrained by police but then let go once again as the individual did not wish to press charges.

I think it's unfair that this person can go around assaulting people without ramifications. There are photos and videos floating around of the incident. The individual has also shown zero remorse for what happened which is sickening - he even said that he wished he was arrested for 'the experience'. My questions are as follows:
    1. Could I face any legal trouble if I forwarded details/photos of what happened to this person's future employer? Perhaps something linked to defamation? (I am in England)
    2. In your eyes, would I be a bad person if I did this?

Thanks for your advice.

Tags: None

1) Potentially he could sue for defamation, yes. Unfortunately if you are sued for defamation then the system works on the basis that you are "presumed guilty until proven innocent" of defamation but only once a civil trial begins. Therefore you must have solid evidence to prove that your statements are true beyond a reasonable doubt. If you are unsure then I would advice seeking professional legal advice.
    There is also the possibility that if you subsquently contact him, he will go to the Police and make a complaint of harassment against you. It is not his decision to press charges, but that of the Police force concerned and/or the CPS. Therefore unless you want to risk the ramifcations of a criminal conviction which can include a fine, imprisonment and a criminal record, that you do not under any circumstances make any contact with your acquaintance after doing so. Even if he initiates said contact I would strongly advise against it for that reason and other reasons as well e.g. the possibility that you end up becoming one of his victims.
    2) Morally and ethically, no you would not be. However in law, I would have to treat you as a criminal (without being free to use my personal discretion) if I were your boss (or future employer), insurance company or housing provider etc if you're actions lead to a criminal conviction. Even if they did not but the Magistrates trying your case awarded an on acquittal restraining order against you or you were successfully sued for defamation and an injunction was imposed by a county court, then I could potentially be entitled to take that into consideration and I would still have to treat you like anyone else in the same situation, again without being free to use my personal discretion.

For all these reasons, and maybe even other reasons that I forgot to mention, I would strongly recommend that you simply avoid this person and do nothing else. This will hopefully send out the right message to them and might cause them to think twice next time. You don't want to be out and about having to get your mate out of a fight anyway.

Comment

Your thinking is positive but be careful what you are doing. If you have solid evidence and you think that after taking this kind of steps, all these issues will resolve and acquaintance will be punished then you can go ahead.
      But I recommend, before taking any step, you need to consult a personal injury solicitor. He will help you to proceed with this case.

Comment

Besides the points made above I am concerned at where this could lead as in the UK we have systems of justice.

In these cases the matters have been investigated by the Police.
        They and the CPS decide if there is enough evidence to press charges even if the victim does not want to.
        It doesn't matter if the victim doesn't want to press charges, it is not necessarily his choice.
        Prosecution can proceed if there is sufficient evidence

Now if individuals start to decide the perpetrator of an alleged crime hasn't been dealt with according to the law, or hasn't been sufficiently punished if found guilty of a crime, and take matters into their own hands, they become vigilantes. They run a parallel unregulated justice system, and with that I cannot agree.

Comment

Originally posted by User19 View Post
          An acquaintance of mine assaulted a friend of mine several months ago. The friend chose not to press any charges.

Several months later, the acquaintance assaulted someone else, far more viciously to the extent that blood was drawn. He was restrained by police but then let go once again as the individual did not wish to press charges.

I think it's unfair that this person can go around assaulting people without ramifications. There are photos and videos floating around of the incident. The individual has also shown zero remorse for what happened which is sickening - he even said that he wished he was arrested for 'the experience'. My questions are as follows:
          1. Could I face any legal trouble if I forwarded details/photos of what happened to this person's future employer? Perhaps something linked to defamation? (I am in England)
          2. In your eyes, would I be a bad person if I did this?

Thanks for your advice.
          The individuals assaulted chose not to press charges, who are you to override their decisions and to bring their attacks to light with people who know nothing of them. What gives you the right to interfere with their lives?
          COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Originally posted by jaguarsuk View Post

The individuals assaulted chose not to press charges, who are you to override their decisions and to bring their attacks to light with people who know nothing of them. What gives you the right to interfere with their lives?
            Because they don't make that decision, the Prosecution (in this case CPS) do. They technically represent the Queen. This gives them as Her Majesty's representative the lawful right to prosecute anyone who commits a crime.

Comment

Both people chose not to press charges (there may be valid reasons as to why they did this).

Once again "What gives you the right to interfere with their lives."?

Comment

Originally posted by paulajayne View Post
                Both people chose not to press charges (there may be valid reasons as to why they did this).

Once again "What gives you the right to interfere with their lives."?
                It depends on what you mean by "you". Assuming you mean the OP I cannot speak for them. But assuming that you mean the CPS then if the defendant was prosecuted that would be something for him to ask the Crown Prosecution Service (either directly or through his legal representative).

Comment

MPotter

Of course the OP

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X