• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Male Victims of Domestic Violence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Male Victims of Domestic Violence

http://www.bbc.co.uk/relationships/d...hh_index.shtml

I feel like the only one

You may feel as if you're the only man who has ever experienced domestic violence but you're not alone. Although research shows that it is mainly women, this doesn't mean that men don't suffer too.
    Figures on the extent of male victims vary considerably so it's difficult to state with any accuracy the true extent. However, the 2001/02 British Crime Survey (BCS) found 19 per cent of domestic violence incidents were reported to be male victims, with just under half of these having a female abuser.
    It may be hard to admit to yourself and to others that this is happening, but it's not your fault and you can get help.
    Are there differences in how men and women experience domestic violence?

There are both similarities and differences. Some of the responses to violence from a partner are the same. Whoever you are, being hurt by someone you love and trust can be devastating. You may feel bewildered and confused. You may wonder if it's your fault. You may feel too ashamed or embarrassed to tell anyone. If you do tell, you may find that you are not believed or that your abuse is trivialised. For all victims of abuse, the message is the same...
    • You are not alone
    • It is not your fault
    • Help is available

If you don't find the right help immediately, it's important that you keep looking until you find someone who can support you at this difficult time. It doesn't make you weak to ask for help.
    There are also important differences that can often be lost when we assume that what we know about women experiencing domestic violence automatically applies to male victims too.
    For example, many abused men may feel that they aren't 'real men' if they admit to having experienced abuse.
    What help is available?

Relationship Assessment Test

If you're worried you may be in an abusive relationship, you may like to assess your relationship with our quick test.

Men have exactly the same rights as women to be safe in their own homes. All statutory services (such as the police, Crown Prosecution Service, housing departments and social services) have a duty to provide services to all, whatever their gender.
    Men are protected by exactly the same laws as women - anyone who has assaulted another person, regardless of the gender of either, can be prosecuted.
    If you are a man experiencing domestic violence and you need emergency help you can call the police on 999.
    For more on legal issues, housing or social services see our Practical Help section. Please note, however, that if you are a gay man (or lesbian), you may not be covered by the Family Law Act. Seek legal advice to clarify your position.
    What about my children?

The family courts deal with all child contact disputes on a case by case basis. Evidence of domestic violence will be taken into account and decisions about residence and contact made accordingly.
    If you're concerned for the welfare of any child you can contact social services, ChildLine's freephone helpline 0800 1111 or the NSPCC freephone helpline on 0808 800 5000.
    External sites

Help for victims

Re: Male Victims of Domestic Violence

Your quite right to raise this issue nattie as its a bit of a taboo and is rife...........fair play to you mate

Comment

what do you do if you are told it is your fault?

Comment

That is a difficult one. It depends on the situation. Do you want to explain more on the open forum and hopefully we can advise?

Comment

Man that would mean pouring my heart out and i don't think i can do that!
          ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
          open forum does that mean showing everyone what i say?
          Last edited by RLJ; 17th October 2008, 21:16:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Yes absolutely.....

Comment

can't do it it's so personal

Comment

without wanting to pry, and this is just my opinion...and this applies to male victims of abuse just as much as female ones, I think.

I think that a lot of abusers get away with it, so to speak, cos they make the victim think it is their fault, so the abuser can use this to justify their own actions. Once the victim is believing its their fault, this makes it all the more easier for the situation to carry on. Easier for the abuser to carry on abusing, harder for the victim to escape from it.

It's easy to believe it really is your fault if that's what you are told time after time after time, I would think. Doesn't do much for your self confidence either.
                You have to take a long hard look, weigh everything up, and then take it from there. And remember, there is never any justification for abusing someone whether its their fault or not. In my book anyway. NO-one desereves it, and no-one has to put up with it. Although you may think that's easy for me to say, as an outsider looking in. We all have our own inner strength, although it may desert us from time to time, and retreat, it is there and you have got it, just needs a bit of help to find it sometimes and give it a nudge in the right direction.

If you have any questions, even hypothetical ones, know that someone will answer them and try to help. You've already taken a giant step, if the next few are tiny steps, that doesn't matter, you will reach the place you need (and deserve) to be eventually.

Obviouslly without knowing more of the situation thats as far as I can go, but I do understand it must be difficut to spill your feelings and situation out all in one go.

Wendy xx
                Is no longer here

Comment

RLJ I will PM you.
                  #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X