• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

I have to pay her rent?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Access to marital home?

Thanks Amethyst, I suspected as much, and changing the locks was not something I intended doing. She is pushing for a quick divorce on "unreasonable behaviour", which I will not contest. Hopefully, we are almost at agreement in respect of finances, so with some common sense and compromise, we can avoid legal fees.

Comment

You should get a consent order drawn up between you both once agreed, this doesn't add a huge amount to the proceedings and is invaluable later.

I had a clean break order so once the house was sold that was that no claims over pensions/inheritances etc in the future. We agreed a 50/50 split but I was constantly told to take 70% of the house as I'd have been entitled to had I wanted.

Common sense and compromise is good but as I said on your other thread, once one party chucks that out the window, it's difficult to continue without getting formal legal advice yourself, or rolling over and giving everything up.
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Re: I have to pay her rent?

The house is being sold for circa £178,000. Outstanding mortgage is £83,000. We have agreed a 50/50 split on equity, and from that, will settle joint debts, again, on a 50/50 split, although a separate agreement is in place in regard some personal injury compensation I am about to receive.

Why will she be likely to get a higher proportion of the house sale? I don't understand this point? What gives her a greater right over the house than me?

Comment

I do not understand why she is likely to be entitled to 70% of the house? It is being sold, equity to be split 50/50... if she gets 70%, I will face financial ruin, as the equity is funding a new home for me. Without it, I will literally be on the streets.

Comment

She's not 'likely' to, but if she is already looking at claiming maintenance it is something you should be aware of that could be argued, it really does depend on your circumstances (which I do not know other than you have broadly similar incomes)

It sounds like you have been good and have got things agreed reasonably between you both, however that she has since gone to a solicitor and come back asking for you to pay half her rent and half her mortgage liability, and that you're worrying about her access rights to the property.... well, things could still change depending what she is told by her solicitor.

She is going to be petitioning for the divorce - have you agreed to who pays the costs of the divorce ?
            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Can I stick your threads together ?

All I am saying is it is okay saving a little now and relying on the very good (mostly) advice online but you may be better off spending a little now and getting formal legal advice on a couple of issues that might become contentious from a solicitor who fully knows the circumstances.
              #staysafestayhome

Comment

Yes, please move the threads as you see fit - you are in charge after all :tinysmile_grin_t:
                A consent order is something i am proposing to her, and have offered to pay for, as a gesture of my integrity and goodwill...

Comment

I don't think she is going to claim maintenance, in fact, I would suggest it's not something she has even considered knowing as she does I am not in a financial position to support her anyway.
                  We have agreed to share the costs of the divorce. I am trying (insofar as is reasonably practical) to resolve this on a 50/50 split, plus taking sole responsibility for a credit card debt.

Comment

Good, this 50/50 on her rent and her share of the mortgage is the bit we haven't got to the bottom of then.

(merged everything)
                    #staysafestayhome

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                      Good, this 50/50 on her rent and her share of the mortgage is the bit we haven't got to the bottom of then
                      It has been suggested on Wikivorce that she shouldn't be liable for the mortgage as I have sole use of the house. However, on my own, I can't afford the mortgage, so I may suggest to her she continues to pay as agreed, and I will 'refund' her out of the equity we get from the house sale. This will ensure there is no default on the mortgage payments. Sound like a plan? Unless someone else can throw some light on the legal situation here?

Comment

Talk to her she and you are the only ones who can easily sort this you can offer a written agreement regarding the equity if she carries on helping to pay.

Comment

Legally, the house is joint and severable so either one of you is liable for the full amount. She has no obligation to pay it, neither do you, other than under the mortgage which means someone has to pay it or you lose the house, and they can chase whichever of you they fancy is good for any shortfall.

If you can't afford the mortgage on your own, and she can't afford to rent her own place AND pay a share of the mortgage you have a little bit of a problem,

Can you change the mortgage to interest only while you wait for it to be sold, might reduce the amount you have to pay out ?
                          #staysafestayhome

Comment

The house is sold, subject to contract. We are trying to move things through as quickly as possible now. Luckily, there is no chain on the buyer side, and they are cash buyers too... fingers crossed.

Comment

Brilliant We're waiting for surveys to be done from cash buyers too, I thought cash would be so much quicker than it is, but I suppose 'here's a suitcase full of crisp notes, here's the keys' doesn't work in the real world.

Hopefully then you just have a few weeks to get through.
                              #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X