• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Worth getting an actuary involved for pension valuation?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worth getting an actuary involved for pension valuation?

Hi,

I'm in the process of getting divorced. I have next to no pension (40) and my STBX (45) has been paying into a teachers pension for a while and has just had the pension valued by the provider (100k). IIRC for a yearly pension of £7k/annum.

've read elsewhere that valuations of teacher's pensions is a bit hit and miss. Has anyone on here gone down the route of getting an actuary involved? Obviously if I roughly know that the pension valuation can be increased (and recognised by the courts) by going down the actuary route it would be worth it.

Anyone done this please?

MD
    Tags: None

The whole divorce settlement is calculated on a rough figures basis with estimates and optimistic guess work. In the absence of a clear reason for doubt, I do not think actuarial involvement would be worth it.
    Your pension is not a huge amopunt, and a teacher's pension will be readily valued as one of thousands valuations carried out regularly.

Comment

Ok thanks. I'd essentially read that TPs are undervalued by the provider and not an accurate representation of their true worth. But yeah, also don't want to spend a lot of getting it revalued if the increase is minimal.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X