• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

My husband's going to throw me out

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My husband's going to throw me out

I urgently need some advice regarding a divorce and would be grateful for some help.

My husband of 13 years has subjected me to intermittent bouts of abuse over the years, culminating in my attending a Domestic Violence course in 2018. He hasn't been physically violent towards me or our children, but is verbally aggressive, controlling and unreasonable, and has upset both me and the children on multiple occasions. He has put the children in traumatic and potentially dangerous situations more than once, resulting in my son's schools being notified (whereupon he was given counselling). My husband is not capable of looking after the children on a daily basis as he has never been involved in their daily care routines. He has been signed off work for ill health for nearly two years and is barely capable of looking after himself. Throughout the marriage, he would only allow me to have sex with him 5 times, stopping all together 7 years ago, and he repeatedly refused to discuss it.

To cut a very long story short, after years of suffering his abusive behaviour and enforced celibacy, I recently embarked on an affair but I stupidly got found out a few weeks into it. Naturally my husband is not best pleased - he's told me he's going to divorce me and wants me to move out within a week.

Because of his controlling nature, he would not allow my name to go on the title deeds to the house when we moved here - he owns it 50/50 with his mother (who's 94 and lives with us). He also told me last night that if I go out, he will also go out, thereby leaving the children (age 11 and 13) unattended, so he's blackmailing me. He's promised not to lay a finger on me, but he's told me he's going to make my life hell (which I believe, because I know how abusive he can be) and, when he can bring himself to talk to me, he shouts me down by repeatedly calling me a liar. He's also demanding a DNA test on the children, who are definitely his as I have been fully loyal up til a month ago.

I would be grateful if someone could offer me a bit of advice as soon as possible. I gave up my job to raise our children so I have no income and hardly any savings, I have no family and nowhere to go. Although he hasn't said he'd do this yet, I strongly suspect he's going to cease giving me any housekeeping (he controls all the money, without negotiation). I'm also seriously concerned for the childrens' wellbeing if I'm forced out as I've had to be a buffer between them and his aggression/unreasonable behaviour over the years. They go back to school tomorrow after the half-term and, when they're out, I really do not know what I am going to be threatened with and I need to know where I stand.

Help!!

Tags: None

Do you know if it's possible to register an HR1 (Home Rights notice) on the property when it's owned by my husband and his mother? Or would this not apply because his mother's also an owner?

Comment

Sorry to hear of your problems, and will leave it to others to respond more fully.

Reading around it seems that in your situation you may not be able to register your home rights, and you should seek face to face legal advice from a solicitor used to handling family matters.

In the meantime tagging Peridot for you, but she may not be on til tomorrow

Comment

Firstly - https://www.womensaid.org.uk/informa...port/helpline/

Is your husbands Mother actually a joint owner of the property (is her name on the land registry) ? If so, then home rights wouldn't be an option, and would you really want you and the children to stay there in any case? It sounds like you have put up with his behaviour, and acted to protect the children for many years and now things have come to a head it is a good time to make a break. Give Women's Aid call, you will be entitled to benefits and they can help you with somewhere to stay while you get on your feet, it won't be easy by any means, but you'll get your life back xxx

If, when, you go on to divorce him, you may be entitled to something from any equity in the property and you'd be entitled to child maintenance from him, but your first concern is ensuring that you and the children are safe.

Talk to Women's Aid and see what support is available.
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X