• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Ex-cohabited with two children

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ex-cohabited with two children

Hi All,

Hope you are all well!

I am seeking some advice on a difficult situation and appreciate all and any pointers!

I got home 29 March from a London trip to find my ex-partner had emptied the house and taken my two children to her sisters which they are currently. She has been reasonable to a point and I have seen my children without issue 3 times per week since. I have suggested a schedule for the children and us to start to manage our individual lives - this has caused contention has she believes she is the main carer and become unwilling to negotiate. I have continued to pay for the children and offered a sum of money for a deposit for a house.

All good until today I received a lawyers letter dictating 2 visits per week (1 week day and 1 weekend alternate Friday/Saturday). The letter also makes reference to dealing with the issue of my property.

The background is we have two children 2 and 6 who I dote on - I want to maintain a healthy fatherhood relationship with them and have done so to-date. I own the property having bought it outright 5 years ago. I also paid all the household bills (aside oddly water and internet) and contributed to the children with money to the mother every month. The mother has not provided any finances to the home other than bits of furniture which she has taken. I have parental responsibility and they hold my surname.

A number of things I need to understand:

Can I ask for the 3 visits being fair - they have their own rooms and I have rescheduled work to meet their needs?

Can a claim be made on my property (we were cohabiting and my name is on the deeds)?

Should I seek legal assistance in this initial stage negotiating visits and access - I don't want to but having received the letter I feel I ought to at least respond. The quality of the letter is poor.

Do I retain the deposit I was going to provide?

My focus is my children and their stability and our relationship.

Any assistance or pointers gratefully received - thanks in advance.

T

Tags: None

Partner or Wife?

Comment

Sorry - partner.

Comment

Anyone?

Comment

http://www.terry.co.uk/cohabs02.html

https://www.wellsburcombe.co.uk/can-...e-not-married/
          Last edited by Setmefree3; 4th May 2019, 09:16:AM.

Comment

Thank you SetMeFree (great name)!

Useful links.

For others I paid a huge deposit on another house and have agreed amicably a shared care approach sealed semi-formally through a lawyers letter. I also pay the going rate maintenance. The children are my main concern and I get 2-3 days/nights per week so I and more importantly they are happy. I feel I am on eggshells though and at the mercy of the attitude of the day. Head down and hope that improves though I know a court order would rectify that if required.

So all in the best end solution if it goes to plan. Kids happy and dad happy what more could I want!

Again thank you. In these times such small help goes a long way.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X