• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Question on a Children's Trust Fund

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on a Children's Trust Fund

Is the family court involved in the process of setting up a trust fund for minors in the event of a personal injury claim when the Mother dies in an accident and there is no will ?
    I understand that the compensation awarded is sometimes referred to by insurers as a 'University Fund' (or something like that), where an amount is held in trust until children reach adulthood.
    Thanks for any feedback.
    K.
    Tags: None

With a personal injury claim there is usually a solicitor acting who could best advise you and would be able to set up a suitable Trust. Usually such a Trust is simply an investment that is managed by Trustees, two at least and often family members who want only to see the benefit reaching the child or children.

When invested in the name of the Trust, then the trustees are personally liable to ensure that the investment is well managed, of low risk and can be administered in a way that will be the most benefit of the beneficiaries. have a chat with the solicitors dealing with the claim

Comment

The court can order it be put into trust, my cousin had an accident in a shop where she was injured as a little girl and the retailer found liable (albeit in County Court) for personal injury. The judge ordered damages and that they be put in trust until the age of 18 for her.

If a judge doesn't order damages in a personal injury case into trust for a child the damages would be paid to the estate of the late mother and then distributed as part of the estate.

In terms of death intestate (without a will), if there is a living husband, wife or civil partner they will get all the estate if it is below a value of £270,000. If there is not the entire estate will be inherited by the child (or children if there is more than one, but you only mentioned daughter).

If there is a living husband, wife or civil partner and the estate is valued at more than £270,000, the husband, wife or civil partner keeps all the assets (including property) up to £270,000 and all the personal possessions, whatever their value. The remainder of the estate will be shared with the husband, wife or civil partner getting an absolute interest in half of the remainder and the other half is then divided equally between the surviving children, so all to the daughter if she is an only child as your post would suggest.

If you are referring to a Life Insurance or other form of insurance pay out, then unless the policy specifies the daughter as the beneficiary of it then any insurance pay out will go to the estate and be subject to the rules above.

As Sam101 says in either instance (when no order had been made) a solicitor can help you set up a trust for the daughter until whatever age you think is appropriate for her inheritance.
      COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

There are two sets of questions here. First as to the payment of damages, and second, if the damages are due to a deceased how is a trust created for a child.
        The child may have his/her own independent claim for losses.
        If a claim is made for the deceased, that wou;d normally assume a grant of probate or letters of administration to make the claim. The money goes to the estate and the PI court is finished with it.
        Where money is within the estate but held for a child, the will normally establishes a simple trust model, or in the absence of a will statutory trusts (I think) apply to the child's share.
        So it is not the family cour who do anything.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X