• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Judgement set aside, what next?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Judgement set aside, what next?

Hi all, with the help of a member on here I was successful in having a CCJ that I knew nothing about set aside. *Now the judge wants to have a hearing to decide if an expert witness is necessary to make a report on the works I was chased for as the claim is now once again on the small claims track. My question is if the Claimant doesn’t turn up to the hearing can I ask that the claim be thrown out?*
    Tags: None

If this is a hearing that the judge requires to make a decision on how to proceed and not a full hearing then the claimant does not have to attend. It would be unwise of them not to attend though. I don't see how a judge could make a decision on whether an expert was needed without hearing both sides.
    It depends what the judge said when asking for this hearing though. You would need to show the court letter to give an answer to your question.

Comment

Thanks Luxardo, with the decision to set judgement aside was an extra page saying this: “Before the claim is listed for hearing, the judge has ordered that a preliminary hearing should take place:- to consider the need for expert evidence”.

Comment

The original claim related to very poor workmanship that a builder carried out for me. I guess the judge wants to see evidence of the poor work but since it was all rectified by a new tradesman there’s nothing to see.

Comment

I'd say he would be foolish not to attend or send his lawyer but he doesn't have to and you can't have case dismissed if he doesn't.

In actual fact there is nothing to compel you to attend any hearing unless ordered to do so. If you wish, you can simply ask to have the judge rely on a written statement of facts. It would be extremely foolish to do so obviously.

Comment

Thanks I appreciate the advice, I’ll report back with an update after the hearing.

Comment

Hi, Interesting turn off events. When I turned up at the hearing today the usher couldn’t find the listing for the hearing. I was then told there was no hearing as the case had been settled and the Court produced an email from the claimant in which he told the Court to cancel the hearing as the defendant (me) had settled the claim by paying his bailiffs! *Well I’m gobsmacked as I certainly have not settled the claim, the High Court Enforcement officer was paid under duress as he was clamping my car, the very same day *I made the application to set aside as I was completely unaware of the original proceedings until said clamper was on my drive. What does anyone think is my next move? The claimant has thousands of pounds of my money from a claim where the judgement was set aside so does he have any legal right to hold on to it? Thanks in advance, any advice would be greatly appreciated. *

Comment

What is the timeline of events here ?

You had some building work done
                For whatever reason you didn't pay
                Builder obtained a CCJ (presumably in default because you knew nothing about it)
                Enforcement agent arrived on your doorstop for a CCJ you knew nothing about and you paid in full
                You applied to have the CCJ set aside and the application was granted
                WHAT HAPPENED NEXT ?

Comment

Yes that’s absolutely *the timeline, the payment to the agent though was for 3x the original (dangerous) work he carried out. *The Judge in his judgement set the CCJ aside then put the claim back on the small claims track to start the process of the claimant suing me again, but first set a hearing to consider the need for expert evidence regarding my defence that the work was bad. It’s when I turned up for that preliminary hearing that I learned the claimant had emailed the court to say that as I had paid the HCEO that the claim was settled and that he’d like to cancel the hearing. I assume that as he was the claimant it was within his power to do so but I wanted the case to go ahead to defend the claim so I could then chase the return of my money plus setting aside fees.*

Comment

The claim has been put back on the small claims track by a judge so the claimant has no authority to withdraw it.
                    The court clerks have made a mistake here, you need to write to the court and explain what has happened.
                    In fact I would go to the court personally and speak to them as this is quite complicated and a letter may not cut it.
                    There are no forms to fill in for this that I know of.

Comment

Thanks I’ll do just that.

Comment

Originally posted by Happyguy View Post
                        Hi, Interesting turn off events. When I turned up at the hearing today the usher couldn’t find the listing for the hearing. I was then told there was no hearing as the case had been settled and the Court produced an email from the claimant in which he told the Court to cancel the hearing as the defendant (me) had settled the claim by paying his bailiffs! Well I’m gobsmacked as I certainly have not settled the claim, the High Court Enforcement officer was paid under duress as he was clamping my car, the very same day I made the application to set aside as I was completely unaware of the original proceedings until said clamper was on my drive. What does anyone think is my next move? The claimant has thousands of pounds of my money from a claim where the judgement was set aside so does he have any legal right to hold on to it? Thanks in advance, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
                        @Amethyst
                        @pt2537

Original thread to this @ https://legalbeagles.info/forums/for...s-to-a-bailiff

I wonder if the Court have forgotten this was about a Set Aside application?

Comment

Thanks For the bump up PLODDERTOM

Comment

If anyone could help I’d be very grateful*

Comment

General Form of Judgement or Order it is ordered that
                              1. Judgement be set aside.
                              2. The claim is allocated to the small claims track.
                              3. The defendant shall file and serve a defence by (left blank by me as anyone could see it).
                              4. The matter shall be listed for a preliminary hearing on the first open date after (blank) 2019 with a time estimate of 30 minutes to consider the need for expert evidence
                              Following the order to set aside did you file your defence to the claim ? ( apologies I didn't read your entire previous thread - just picked up the order to check it had been set aside already )
                              Did your defence (and set aside app) include the bailiff issue and that they had been paid under duress?

You will need to make an application to reinstate the claim to proceed with your defence and reinstate the order of the Judge for a prelim hearing re expert evidence, and it seems now you may now also have to counterclaim against the claimant for a refund of the monies paid under duress.
                              #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X