• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

ebola - employment rights in pandemic / epidemic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ebola - employment rights in pandemic / epidemic

Hello,

With the recent Ebola outbreak making it to the USA and sure to find its way here to the UK at some point and assuming that there are more than a hand full of cases (more then 30 say) if I were to refuse to go to work (work at an university, a highly dense population) on the ground of health and safety ie endangering my life due to the ease at which disease spread through uni's could my employer sack me and if they do could I sue them for constructive / unfair dismissal?

Many thanks

Mark

ebola

http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...475#post477475

Hello,

With the recent Ebola outbreak making it to the USA and sure to find its way here to the UK at some point and assuming that there are more than a hand full of cases (more then 30 say) if I were to refuse to go to work (work at an university, a highly dense population) on the ground of health and safety ie endangering my life due to the ease at which disease spread through uni's could my employer sack me and if they do could I sue them for constructive / unfair dismissal?

Many thanks

Mark

Comment

Re: ebola

Interesting question.

Employers have a duty of care and must provide a safe working environment. It's where that would kick in to action - how many cases, known cases etc. ACAS used to have guidance on flu pandemics, will see if they have something updated.

Employees have a right to refuse to work in circumstances of serious and imminent danger and to take steps to protect themselves and others.

Health & Safety at Work Act
      http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1974/37/section/2

Employments Rights Act 1996
      http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1996/18/section/44

The companies of course should also have contingency plans in the case of a pandemic to enable staff to work from home (easier in this day and age) to continue the business.
      Last edited by Amethyst; 6th October 2014, 07:42:AM.
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

This is in relation to Swine Flu

so really it needs to be defined what risk is reasonable.
        Attached Files
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

answered on other thread, will merge them. ( done )
          #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X