• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Sacked without warning advice required

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sacked without warning advice required

Hi I would be grateful for any advice on the following. My Son has been employed for 18 months, his role changed however he was never given an updated job description. A number of other employees were dismissed and he had to take on their workload as well as his own, it is common knowledge within the office of his many verbal requests to his Manager for help and support. He has also requested performance reviews which he has never had. He has also made a small number of requests via email to his Manager, (he does no have copies of these). Today he was asked to go into the office by his Manager when he asked why he advised it was for a performance review, when he entered the room another Manager from a different dept was in the room, he was handed a letter to open, he opened the letter and it was from HR. His line Manager then advised the letter was for him to attend a meeting tomorrow due to work performance, basically not completing work in required timescales. I am unsure if he requested a member of staff to be included in the meeting or if it was suggested (colleague joined the meeting). My Son stated he had made numerous request verbally and via email over the last few months for help and additional support to which no response was given just a shrug of the shoulders. My Son asked if he was being sacked and requested the meeting request for tomorrow be brought forward, He was then dismissed and walked out of the premises by the Manager from the other Dept. This Manager apologised to my Son and asked if he was happy with how the meeting had gone to which he replied no he wasnt, said Manager then advised there are things you can do about it twice but did not say anything else. My Son immediately try to access his emails remotely to obtain his requests for help and support but his access had already been blocked. They are paying him 4 weeks notice. Can some please advise if he has any chance of taking this further, apologies for the length of this thread but wanted to ensure I covered everything,
    Tags: None

Re: Sacked without warning advice required

Hi,
    Unfortunately no he can't.
    Owing to a change in legislation, an employer can dismiss an employee without giving any reason, if the employee has worked less than two years for the company.
    As your son has only been employed for 18 months he can do nothing, except look for another job.
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.....
    “The only man who sticks closer to you in adversity more than a friend, is a creditor.”

Comment

Thanks for the response, its an absolute disgrace and a real shame that people can be treat this way xx

Comment

Originally posted by SaundersHM69 View Post
        Thanks for the response, its an absolute disgrace and a real shame that people can be treat this way xx
        This all came about because of the increase in number of people taking employers to an Employment Tribunal, for trivialities.
        “The only man who sticks closer to you in adversity more than a friend, is a creditor.”

Comment

Sadly Johnboy is right, unless there was an automatically unfair reason for the dismissal (basically racism, sexism, trade union membership etc) there's nothing he can do as he's been there less than 2 years, and started after April 2012. They sound like they followed procedures and are paying the notice period.
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X