• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

suspended from work

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: suspended from work

Originally posted by cupidstunt View Post
    Thank you Sir, I do appreciate your experience and good nature to help people.

I can come across as abrupt and was possibly having a bad day and apologise for being rude.

Milly, I also apologise to you for interrupting at a time that must be very distressing to you and wish you all the best.
    Apology accepted, and i also apologies to you for the harsh things i said in response to you as i know i can very harsh and blunt to people when am offended. End of the day we all have our bad days and can come across, by what we post, differently to how we meant too.
    Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

Thank you both.
      Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

i have got my next date for my disciplinary 18th june .but in the letter it says that if i have further contact with dyslexia service in the meantime, including about the apparent disparities between her recommendations and the literacy and numeracy skills that you employ in doing your job, you should come prepared to discuss this ... what dos this mean please ....

Comment

Sounds like they may want to discuss your dyslexia with you - Ask them to clarify what they actually mean, then get back to us.

In the mean time, i think it be worth bringing ACAS in to the equation to, so i suggest you contact them as they can then contact your employer too. Which will add extra weight in your favor.

Did they supply any evidence that they refer to support their allegation against you? Or did they mention any in the letter?
          Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

Comment

May seem a bit irrelevant - but - it sounds to me like they are trying to get rid - taking into account your comment about being stressed and another officer calling you in for something you had done.

It's a long one but I thought it may give you an idea of some of the crap they cook up - and even when they are in a hole - they tend to play "who will blink first".

I say this due to my own experience when I worked for the council. In the restructure I got promotion and a subsequent pay rise - which did not go down too well with a few girls who had applied for the job.

They started bullying/harrassing - hiding my work etc. I complained to my Manager (who had applied for the job 3 times and they only gave it to her the last time as she was the only one to apply!) She did nothing and I subsequently found out that several other staff had left because of these people (one left whilst I was there).

Anyway, long story short, they tried the same thing with me - because I wasn't prepared to be treat like that - checked my mileage claims (on the sly) and more besides.

Like a lamb to the slaughter, in my naivety I belived they were going to address the bullying issue (as the witches of eastwick were hiding my letters etc) as I had plenty of evidence (including an email from my Manager basically saying "I don't want to know").

They dismissed me and tbh - I was gobsmacked - I knew I had done nothing wrong.

They were grasping at straws and looked the pathetic snakes that they were.
            They had no intellect but were very cunning.

In my experience the union was a complete waste of space and money. It was quite clear they had been given the scarborough warning from the council.

I had a witness (a staff member at the same office) who gave me a witness statement confirming he claimed exactly the same miles to a certain area - that really made them sit up!!

In my appeal I represented myself as the rep could not even string a sentence together and I had no faith in him whatsoever. I tied the "witness" in knots and made him look the idiot he was - it didn't take much with a liar!! - blatantly obvious he'd been primed on what to say. The other witness was allowed to withdraw her statement (which had been used in the disciplinary meeting).
            2 out of the 3 accusations were not upheld by the CEO - but nonetheless I was still dismissed.

I lodged a case and 2 days were set aside for the tribunal. I sent numerous letters regarding my holiday pay - they then put a counterclaim in saying that I owed them wages as I was summarily dismissed! I had a letter confirming my last day was X (end of month) and that my pensions etc would be paid up until then.

I could not get legal help (from companies or my home insurance) as the case was not "cut and dried" enough - so was prepared to represent myself. I knew I was not lying and I could tie their witnesses up in knots - as they were brainless jobsworths just looking for brownie points - couldn't see they were just being used. Although, being honest, I have to admit that I was not looking forward to going up against their barristers!

It was pure outrage and disgust at them that kept me going.

Both union reps marked my court dates in their next year diaries. I kept checking they were okay for them - when it came round to going into the offices to sort out my case - they were both in a conference and couldn't get out of it - obviously done on a purpose and late notice - the reps face was a picture when I said I was representing myself and not backing down.

They sent me ring binder after ring binder - no joke - wads and wads of documents, emails (the majority were repeated several times) - for information overload purposes and to try and intimidate me.

In the end they settled out of court (Friday before the Monday, Tuesday court days) - but some of the despicable, immoral, devious tricks and mind games they played were unbelievable. Their legal rep phoned me on the Friday morning and offered me £2k like he was giving me the world - I explained I had taken a pay cut of £8k in my present job - so lets work up from there - he was really snotty and basically said dream on - you're lucky to get £2k - real arrogant piece of work he was.

ACAS I found were as much use as a chocolate fireguard - their suggestion was to tell the council "if you pay her holiday pay then she will drop the case"!!!!!!!!!!!!! - errr...noooo.:tinysmile_aha_t:

I ended up getting my holiday pay plus costs - again, they settle out of court.

Just thought I would give you my experience of the council muppets and wish you all the luck in the world. Keep your back covered and stick to your guns.

If it doesn't go your way - there's life after the council, believe me, and you will get another job - there are ways of getting around the reference issue.

Don't let them destroy you or grind you down - smug jobsworths with over inflated egos who take great pleasure from making you feel like a criminal - they need a good kick up the jacksy.

I can promise you, you will look back on this (win or lose) and wonder why you let it make you ill - I know I did!!

Foxy :tinysmile_twink_t2:
            Last edited by Foxyflugel; 28th May 2014, 12:15:PM. Reason: ACAS

Comment

yes they do have evidence of my mistake i have been diagnosed with dyslexic and have given them the report and now there saying that because the lady who did the report has said i need some support with my dyslexic they dont agree with the amount of support she said i need but what im saying is that in at least a year my mileage claim has not been checked could be more but in there rules and guidance book it says that our mileage claims are checked regular by call center and a auditor 2 plus 2 makes 5 and untill im told other wise to me it will always be 5 do you agree

Comment

thank you foxy ... its very similar.. but i dont no if i have the strength to go on much longer all my family and close friends are very supportive and things i should i will carry on until i cant do any more as like you i no ive not done any thing on purpose ..

Comment

I see where you are coming from.

Mine was the same!! They "check" them and sign them to authorise the payment.

My point was, if you have never done anything differently to actually MAKE them scrutinise every mile claimed - then this could possibly be an opportunity for them to get rid of you.

I found that if you are not a back stabbing jobsworth and have your own mind and morals (not all, but the majority) then they soon want rid and I was exceptionally good a my job (at the risk of blowing my own trumpet!!)

Also, on our expenses sheets - we signed and dated a declaration that we had done that many miles on behalf of the council - then my line manager signed and dated a declaration to say she had checked it and authroised the payment.

Did your manager (or whoever) actually sign a declaration to say they had checked the mileage? or is it only in your guidelines/policies and procedures?

Foxy :tinysmile_twink_t2:

Comment

i signed it to say that id done the miles and yes some one eles has to sign to say its been checked thats a question i have to ask .. and its the same as you the council ..
                    they told me its all done on trust and thats why it hasnt been checked

Comment

and yes please id very much like your help ..

Comment

The issue here Milly is not the error in your mileage claims, or the frequency they are suppose to check - We all no they rarely do unless its glaring obvious that the mileage is amount is piss takingly high etc. But its the fact that despite now knowing you are dyslexic, which is a 100% fool proof defense to their accusations, they have dismissed your condition as though its irrelevant, when its 100% relevant. As such they are in breach of the equality act 2010 - and as i said before it would only cost them £13 to provide you a reading aid and that is all you need for filling in forms and your mileage etc.

Though i suspect their wish to discuss it, is an indication that they are worried they may be in the shit if they took any action against you - So its possible they may use the hearing as a means to discuss your needs in order to prevent such errors in future - Though thats probably hoping. But they clearly are concern (about where they stand), given their wanting to discuss your condition.

@Foxy - Am from near scarborough if you ever want to meet up and discuss things, although you have already won your case.

Unfortunately councils and local bodies are the biggest rogue employers their are. They consistently breach employment law's, data protection and even when it comes to people claiming benefits (though a recent trend) they are refusing those whom are actually eligible on pathetic reasoning.

A friend (over 65 and twice my age) of mine was refused housing benefit on two grounds. One was reason was that he was overspending (he goes to the pub most days during the week) and they were wanting copies of receipts for everything he spent money on (can see barstaff handing over receipts lol) and second was his ownership of land which when valued at agricultural value took him over the minimum savings of £16K - savings are whats in the bank (cash) not what is a property asset that is not hard cash.

He is now down to £500 in the bank after taking a year from when he first claimed after his savings went below £16K for housing benefits till just two weeks ago for them to accept his claim was valid and he was entitled. So now where looking at reclaiming all rent paid in that period as compensation - As it amounts to possible fraud by either abuse of position or false representation. Its Ryedale Council by the way.

Its also very common for employers to take things right up to a day or two before tribunal hearing to settle, its a tactic they use in the hope you will crack first and redraw. In fact, majority of tribunal claims are settled that way nowadays.

Comment

Millymay,

If your employers seriously think they can dismiss the report about your dyslexia, then they really do need to wake up and smell the coffee. Dyslexia is a neurological disorder and if your employer is going to disregard, dismiss or challenge the report, they will need an OH report written by a neurologist, ideally, with a post-graduate certificate or diploma in Occupational Medicine, if not, experience of dealing with patients with dyslexia.
                          Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

thank you all so much for all your comments

Comment

Any further updates as yet Milly?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X