• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Easter Sunday question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easter Sunday question

Hey,

I work weekends (sat/sun) in retail on a 14 hours per week contract, and my workplace are making me take Easter Sunday as paid holiday(but takes away from my yearly holiday allowance). They offered to let me come in on a day during the week instead to make up my 14 hours per week, however due to other commitments i am unable to do this.

Are they legally allowed to make me take the sunday as holiday? As i thought it was a bank holiday and they were unable to do this

Thanks!
    Tags: None

Re: Easter Sunday question

Sundays are not Bank Holidays

Comment

Easter Sunday most businesses are closed so the op is asking what are the rules when he normally works Sunday but he is told he gets the Sunday off.

Comment

They thought Easter sunday was a Bank Holiday their words!

Comment

im just asking, because if it's not a bank holiday, surely i could tell them no i want to work on the sunday and because they are closed that would be their problem?

Comment

How long have you had this job?Telling them what you want to do wont help your case anyone else want to work on sunday and how big is this company?

Comment

It is a law that states they can not open only in some cases

http://www.dol.govt.nz/er/holidaysandleave/publicholidays/shop-opening-hours.asp

Comment

think you are misunderstanding,

All i am asking is if they can legally make me take Easter Sunday as compulsory holiday and take it out of my yearly holiday allowance even if the store is closed

Comment

I think they can Nathan but the answer should be in your contract

Comment

I think you may find that if you don't accept you won't get paid otherwise.

Comment

ok cool, was just wondering, not too fussed either way, not gonna kick up a stink about something so small, its just good to know these things :P

thanks for the help

Comment

They are not being awkward about this but I assume due to the size of the store they will be prevented from opening but to ensure you will get paid are offering holiday pay. One thing at least that sticks out to me is that they are being upfront and giving you plenty of notice rather than leaving it to the last minute or worse, not telling you at all.

Comment

I noticed the link you used has a .nz suffix so will refer to the situation in New zealand not here in the UK.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                          X