• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Break Times

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Break Times

Hi there guys.

So about three weeks ago, I started a new job as Deputy Manager of a small stationary store in Bath, in the South West.

I was looking forward to it until I asked on my trial how breaks work, as I will (and am currently) be working alone in the store. I was told that we have to bring lunch and try and eat when it's quiet. Now, usually this is possible - with the odd customer coming in during me trying to eat my apple, but on the weekends, it's really hard to do it.

So I went and had a look online, turns out, if I am right, that I am entitled to a TWENTY MINUTE UNINTERRUPTED BREAK for working anything over six and a half hours?

My question, as a result of this, is does this count as uninterrupted? I really don't feel it is, I really don't feel it's fair, and being a Type 1 Diabetic, I really don't feel it's going to end well for my health.

Further more, during the interview and trial, they didn't actually ask me once if I had a disability or considered myself to have one. Only when I'd been there for about a week, they asked me to fill in the application form, so that they could pay me, only on there does it ask (As you would expect)

I just feel we should be allowed to close for 20 minutes during a quiet period of the day, to get out of the shop and get a breather.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Tags: None

Re: Break Times

Being Diabetic Is not a disability!

Comment

What are the opening times and where is the Manager during these times?

As Walesman says, diabetes is not classed as a disability.
      Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Also, might I add politely, I didn't state it was a disability. I stated that they didn't ask me if I was, or CONSIDERED myself to be. So I may, if I wish, consider it to be.

Comment

The opening times are as follows, Mon - Fri 9:30-6, Sunday 11-5

I am/will be the manager. My area managers are all around, and can be anywhere, including places like London.

At the moment I am the only available member of staff, as my area manager who is local is now off sick. Which means I will be working constantly until cover can be found, or he recovers.

Comment

I have to ask .Are there times of the day when there are no customers in the shop for say 20 minutes if so I expect it would not be at lunch time which I would think is the busiest time for most shops?
            Are their any other staff there who can take over while you eat . A business needs customers to survive and in certain retail sectors tea and lunch breaks are somewhat hard to come by .
            As for the Diabetes my wife and I both have this and with proper medical care its controlled may I respectfully suggest you chase up ypur surgery for the help to get your Bloods right

Comment

There can be times where there are no customers in the shop, obviously as you say, not during the lunch period really. There are no staff available to cover for me, sadly. It's only ever one in at a time between 9:30-6 (Arriving at work at 9:10 to take 'clock in' calls from other stores).

I understand that a business needs it's customers to survive, as I have been in retail for around eight years now. However I also understand that staff need their time, and I don't feel under this format that this is always possible, which is the foundation for my seeking advice before taking it up with Head Office. Essentially sussing if there is a violation any where.

As for Diabetes, yes, it's all controlled just fine - I've been a diabetic for just over a decade now. I just worry that over a busy day, such as the weekend, where foot fall is high, that I may risk letting my blood sugar drop by not taking time to eat properly, it has happened to me before leading to a seizure (Although when picked up by Paramedics, my BS was 3.1 - low, but not low enough to have caused a seizure, so I can't hand on heart say Diabetes was the soul reason for the seizure, however brain scans, amongst other tests, found nothing)

Comment

You are stuck between the Devil and the deep blue sea a little the owner needs you to be available at all times and expects you to grab food when you can and you need time to do this a compromise is needed here but that seems difficult
                Hope fully there is someone on here who can offer a solution but with you being on your own its a problem lets hope it can be sorted.
                I must add if at any time you must eat to control your Bloods ignore everything else and do it your health comes first.

Comment

What happens, if you need, what I think is known as a comfort break urgently, I guess you would put up the closed sign.

Not strictly legal, but sometimes we have to make a compromise, jobs are hard to come by. I think you have to decide if the benefits of this job are worth excepting the conditions. If you don't, then I'm sure someone else will.

I know it's not right. but sometimes we have to act as if we own the business and want it to survive.

Possibly, the legal route would be to determine a set break time and close the shop. However this wouldn't work.

Don't get me wrong, employment law is a good thing but at times it can hurt the small organisations and we don't live in a perfect world.

Comment

I disagree that being a Diabetic is not a disability. Diabetes falls within the scope of DDA, and if you want case law (though not relating to food/breaks) then search for Clark vs Newquest Media (Southern) Ltd.

Comment

Can I claim DLA then send the forms over Please

Comment

As I understand it,diabetes is not an actual disability, but it is a manageable chronic illness.
                        The condition can lead to disability though.
                        Diabetes in itself is not sufficient reason to be awarded DLA (so don't bother filling in the forms Wales, use your time more productively in the allotment
                        )

Comment

I am sure you are aware Wales that DLA is awarded on a points basis. If you don't score enough points (for what ever reason) does that mean a person has no disability?

There are several medical conditions that fall within the scope of DDA, but that doesn't mean to say DLA will or can be awarded.

It is a pretty narrow view point to assume that because a person is not entitled to DLA, that they have NO disabilities.

Comment

I asked if I can claim DLA with Diabetes as it was posted on here that being diabetes is a disability I never mentioned any other problems

Comment

Probably not as an adult. However, a child (or parent of) can claim DLA on he basis that a child would need supervision with medication etc.

However, as previously stated, not being awarded DLA doesn't mean that a disability does not exist. Diabetes falls under DDA with regards to employment, which I believe was he original question.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X