• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Gross Misconduct and Disciplinary Meetings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gross Misconduct and Disciplinary Meetings

Hi all,
    I've recently lost my job after being incredibly stupid.i have a gambling addiction which I am seeking treatment for but was stupid enough to steal from my job of 11 years to feed the addiction.this was uncovered during a company audit and I admitted taking some money,although not all of what was missing as I didn't want the girls I worked with being suspended and undergoing police enquiries.

Last week I was called to a meeting with the owner who stated that I have 4 weeks to pay him back or he will go to the police and push for a custodial sentence of 2 years. My family are currently trying to gather the funds needed.

i assumed I was automatically dismissed for gross misconduct.i was never told otherwise. This was never said but as I wasn't told I was suspended etc either then it seemed like a logical assumption.

Last night I received a text from my employer telling me disciplinary meeting 12pm weds at my old place of work. I replied I couldn't go as I was away (I had previously booked the time off work) and was it necessary as the outcome had been decided. He replied that he had to 'do things properly' and either I attended or I sent in a written confession admitting to stealing all the money.

i have no intention of going into my old workplace as my nerves are shot and I know the outcome.
    I think he is trying to put pressure on me as I have text message evidence of his misconduct and he is probably aware of this.
    i really don't know what to do next. I am trying my hardest to get the money back to him in the agreed timescale,I'm not a nasty person,just stupid.
    any advice would be massively appreciated.
    thanks.
    Tags: None

Re: Gross Misconduct and Disciplinary Meetings

Not going to the meeting might make things worse and your ex employer may well go to the police in which case a conviction might happen them saying they will make sure you get 2 years is rot.
    Maybe the Employer may accept repayment instead of Police action mot going might change their mind.
    I hope your getting help with you gambling before any thing else happens and another stupid mistake is made,
    Don't admit anything now even to the Police without advice even if that's from a duty solicitor at the Police station you are in law innocent until proven guilty.
    Good luck and GET the help you NEED

Comment

Re: Gross Misconduct and Disciplinary Meetings

Thankyou for the reply. I am getting help for the gambling and can't believe how stupid I've been. Thanks for your advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
      X