• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Long issue with work over sickness (and with Christmas now coming ..)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long issue with work over sickness (and with Christmas now coming ..)

I have worked for a large supermarket shall not name unless im said by others i am allowed too for a long 2.5 years , 3 February 16th 2014. To be clear I am UK based and do have United Union which I am joined too.

On my application form I stated as having a long-term medical condition which in neurological and leaves me with migraines and under the care of a nurologist and occasionally having to have lumbar punctures because my body creates excessive CSF fluid.

In August 2012 I formed depression / stress due to many factors work being one of the contributing factors.

Anyway sickness's are counted in a rolling year and tend to reset in January. This year alone I have had 3 sickness's. 1 in Febuary 2013 due to work stress, this was a long absence due to medication trials that me and my Dr couldnt get right between us, I explained to my Dr what effect work was having on me as they were constantly docking my wages purposly and on 1 month leaving me with £200 to survive on (normally i earn £450) -I am part time- It was hard with my debts and surviving on this with their cloud above my head and such..

My second sickness was with my Nurological long term sickness stated on application form , for 1 month again due to NHS waitings I was waiting an awful long time for what should have been a simple procedure. with eye sight loss and migraines work was impossible to comprehend. with my second sickness i was sat down for management couching. because yes, according to this supermarket only 1 sickness a year is allowed. insane.! This one was between July - August 2013

My third sickness I am on now and I am just about to go back. This one is link to IIH but not similar, I was given co-codomal by the NHS and buckets full too many and my private Nuro has told me that i shouldnt have been given it anyway to as it doesnt work with the condition i suffer infact makes it worse, something drs should have known really. Anyway, I was given 300 tablets and since July - November have taken it strictly 8 tabs a day to what was recently 12 and it started ruling my life what was "taking the stuff to get to work" was making me feel so ill it was preventing me from going! so here i was sick again this time 2 weeks and written off by my nuro and he himself said he does not often do this, so it must have been serious enough (oh and my condition is coming back)! anyway i call work sick and they straight away get arsey and start about how bad my sickness's have been and how there will be a meeting etc etc... anyway i now know this meeting is with a HR manager and with my deperatment manager about planned care .. what is this? should i do something to protect myself? union rep etc? my manager has said i do not require one. Do companies have to consider long - term or on going sickness's ? Do employers have to consider sickness's covered by dr sicknotes? can dispalinary warnings be given for them sickness's that were covered even by a Dr?

In the past I took out a grievance against the company due to illegal docking of wages and unfairness. I dropped the case on condition it would get sorted. The wages did and a whole 40 hr was paid back, a lot considering I only work 16 a week! the fairness is still not 100% sorted.
    I have another issue I would like to throw out there .. What happens regarding Christmas working .. Boxing day, the day after , day after that? can work officially really stop you taking time of? what if they stop you but not another person? There is one women at out work who has got Boxing day off but they will not let me have the Friday and Saturday after Boxing day off. I feel this is because she if a favourable member of staff.

Thanks for reading I know this is a long message and sorry.
    Tags: None

Re: Long issue with work over sickness (and with Christmas now coming ..)

I know a lot of the feeling mis-treated stuff is all about how I personally feel but it can make me feel really bad and I have left the place in floods of tears before. The new team leader treats me like rubbish. Talks to me like I am stupid and was really rude to me sexually the other day, laughing about how no one would want to touch me (odd that considering I am engaged!)
    I feel I can not trust my manager as she is too young and talks about the staff behind their backs (i have heared her)! she took sides when 2 members of staff were arguing. So I worry if I complain Im next on the hate list!
    I am given the "rubbish" jobs a lot. Some members are given 100% good or 75% good I am given at best 50% but mostly 75% bad and if lucky 50% good. A lot of staff members are lazy and it really isnt in my nature to be this so I tend to pick up the load and they are happy for me too. It may seem petty little things but they are petty little things that are making my job hard and difficult. How am I supposed to help my eyesight but cutting out these rubbish jobs that require it? (hard to explain and there are multiple jobs in this department and NOT upset multiple people)

I need advice on general strategy for returning to work and for it going smoothly. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by SophiieXx View Post
      I have worked for a large supermarket shall not name unless im said by others i am allowed too for a long 2.5 years , 3 February 16th 2014. .
      Hi SophiieXx, & welcome to Legal Beagles.

How does '3 Feb 16th 2014' figure in your post?

Do you mean you will have 3 years service then?
      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
      Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
      gets his brain a-going.
      Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
      The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Originally posted by SophiieXx View Post
        I know a lot of the feeling mis-treated stuff is all about how I personally feel but it can make me feel really bad and I have left the place in floods of tears before. The new team leader treats me like rubbish. Talks to me like I am stupid and was really rude to me sexually the other day, laughing about how no one would want to touch me (odd that considering I am engaged!)
        I feel I can not trust my manager as she is too young and talks about the staff behind their backs (i have heared her)! she took sides when 2 members of staff were arguing. So I worry if I complain Im next on the hate list!
        I am given the "rubbish" jobs a lot. Some members are given 100% good or 75% good I am given at best 50% but mostly 75% bad and if lucky 50% good. A lot of staff members are lazy and it really isnt in my nature to be this so I tend to pick up the load and they are happy for me too. It may seem petty little things but they are petty little things that are making my job hard and difficult. How am I supposed to help my eyesight but cutting out these rubbish jobs that require it? (hard to explain and there are multiple jobs in this department and NOT upset multiple people)

I need advice on general strategy for returning to work and for it going smoothly. Thanks

Yes 3 years Febuary 16th 2014 is what I meant soz : ) gramma awful in this piece I know normally have good gramma just typing verryy quick so : )

Comment

In very general terms, if an illness or disability means that you cannot perform your duties, then an employer can dismiss you.

However, before they do so they should investigate all possible alternatives, &, if available, ensure that Occupational Health is involved in the process.

They may well have a duty to provide reasonable adjustments via the Equality Act 2010 due to your disability.

Btw, how big is the shop?
          CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
          Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
            In very general terms, if an illness or disability means that you cannot perform your duties, then an employer can dismiss you.

However, before they do so they should investigate all possible alternatives, &, if available, ensure that Occupational Health is involved in the process.

They may well have a duty to provide reasonable adjustments via the Equality Act 2010 due to your disability.

Btw, how big is the shop?
            Shop is definatly large and one of main brand super markets. My issue is they took me on with this illness how can they expect me not to be ill with it. I wouldnt mind if i was messing around and taking time out for sake of it but im not ! and Drs have backed all 3 of my illness's and not being funny but 3 are not a lot IMO considering I have had a rough year with my health. Its really been a bad year. I mean people must have more with more intense illness's surely? Do all these people go on long-term sick and be cared for by the state? Companies must be more caring to their employees like this surely? Feel very victimised atm tbh maybe it is best to go in and state this. state how a doctor cannot be wrong and how when I am well i can do the job and well?

Comment

Is OH involved?
              CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
              Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
                Is OH involved?
                Hi sorry what is OH?

Comment

Occupational Health xx
                  #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                    Occupational Health xx
                    No they are not

Comment

Firstly, employers are not generally obliged by law to give employees time off for Bank Holidays.
                      Should they choose to do so, they do not have to pay for them.

However, large shops are not allowed to open on Christmas Day (from memory, over 280 square metres, but don't quote me on that, lol!), & employees by default usually get the day off.

Secondly, they don't appear to be very 'engaged' when it comes to disability discrimination.
                      Is there anything which you can (reasonably) think of, which they could do/provide, that would help you to work more efficiently?
                      Last edited by charitynjw; 9th November 2013, 14:56:PM.
                      CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                      Phelps, C. C.

Comment

I have another issue I would like to throw out there .. What happens regarding Christmas working .. Boxing day, the day after , day after that? can work officially really stop you taking time of? what if they stop you but not another person? There is one women at out work who has got Boxing day off but they will not let me have the Friday and Saturday after Boxing day off. I feel this is because she if a favourable member of staff.

Personally speaking,I wouldn't even attempt the above argument,,it's really nothing to do with you who is given time off and when,,chances are, when she asked for Boxing Day off, the management could accommodate her request.
                        Obviously the job you are in isn't doing you any favours healthwise (I find strip/halogen lighting is a big trigger for my migraines)..so maybe a new job might be worth pursuing?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                        X