• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

tea breaks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tea breaks

Complaint re deduction of pay for lunch breaks. In my 14 years of work at AMVC kitchens I have never been deducted any payment in respect of breaks taken. The only break that I have each day is 15 mins . The same applies to other kitchen staff . The catering staff are a committed group of women that work diligently. They are most aggrieved, as I am, by this course of action. No one has ever taken 30 minutes as a lunch break. they now have decided to deduct money from us but did not inform us before doing this what is law about tea breaks i work 8 and half hours a day for 4 days and 11 hours on the 5th day
    thank you
    Tags: None

Re: tea breaks

you have the right to a 20 minute break if you work over 6 hours in a day. Pay should be detailed in your contract of employment - do you have a copy? The break does not have to be paid but often is - but it should be in your contract of employment - however if it is not then as you have been taking 15 mins breaks and been paid for them over the past 14 years then it would likely be an implied term of your contract of employment.

it doesn't sound from your post that you have been forced to take only 15 min breaks but it was done through choice/necessity for the work. Are you now being told you must take 30 minute break ? does that fit in with your work?
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

i am a chef it says in the contract has upaid but they have always paid it for the last 14 years then it stopped with out notice this month we all take 15 mins has we are all so busy all the time

Comment

Hi, Okay so it is an express term of your contract that breaks are unpaid - you feel -I guess - that through custom and practice over the last 14 yrs that that term has been changed.
        I presume your company feel they are simply enforcing a term of the contract that they haven't before.

Are there employees who have more recent contracts - do they have the same terms?

Have you discussed the matter with your employers at all? (did u just notice your pay packet was half hour short one day or have they discussed it with the staff) 11 hours is certainly a long shift without any break.

You might find it useful to have a chat with ACAS (Helpline number: 08457 47 47 47)
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

So don't take any breaks and piddle in the soup instead. :bolt:

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
            So don't take any breaks and piddle in the soup instead. :bolt:
            Pea soup, anyone?

CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
            Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
            gets his brain a-going.
            Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
            The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
              Pea soup, anyone?
              Where did the OP indicate that s/he worked in a brewery? :grin:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X