• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Today My partner was dismissed!*😩

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today My partner was dismissed!*😩

My partner has been dismissed today (With 4 weeks notice) for Gross negligence with the reason that she cannot be trusted to carry out her job.

She works in an accounts department and recently they have been the victim of professional scammers. The value lost through the scam was £50k across 2 x transactions.

The scam was carried out by someone hacking a suppliers email account and requesting a change of bank details for future payments. Which ultimately my partner made the changes on the company system and said money was paid to what later became apparent was a scammers account and not the actual suppliers.

Key points are:

There is no company process or procedure for carrying out a change of bank details.
    Any payment has '2 factor sign off' therefore my partner 'creates' the payment but her line manager is then meant to check all details and if happy confirm it.

I have a detailed timeline of events that we put together for her to support a grievance she raised about the treatment of her and the handling of the incident overall - Would it be worth me posting it? (It's quite hefty).

My partner has immediately secured another (Higher paid) Job who are fully aware of what has happened so I suppose that is a silver lining.

Any help would be appreciated she has been at the company 18 months. would this exclude any claim for unfair dismissal? any other avenues?
    Last edited by Daz990; 21st October 2021, 19:18:PM.
    Tags: None

Sorry to hear about your partner's situation.

Unfortunately with less than 2 years service, unless she can prove discrimination based on the 9 protected characterisitcs of age, disability, gender reassignment, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, marriage and civil partnership, and pregnancy and maternity, she cannot bring a claim for unfair dismissal. There are a few other grounds were dismissal with less than 2 years service may be an automatice unfair dismissal but from what you have said, this situation would not be covered by them.

As you say there is a silver lining and I suggest her focus should be on her new job. I wish her all the best.

If you do have any further questions just come back to this thread.

If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

ULA Thanks for your swift response. it's so frustrating that they can get away with putting her through this with no recourse because 2yrs has not been served.

It just doesn't sit right

Comment

I do get it and understand the frustration but that this is the current position with regard to employment legislation.
        If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Ultimately the company is to blame, everyone knows 'scammers' exist, they should have 'mechanisms' in place to counter 'scamming' activity. For it to happen those 'mechanisms' weren't in place. I bet there have been 'wholesale' changes since the incident took place. The supplier should shoulder take some of the responsibility as there systems weren't up to the task. But I agree with ULA.

Comment

Yep, well I guess we just need to take it on the chin and move on - Yes wholesale changes already happened after my partner pointed out their flaws. her reward for suggesting new process - P45

Thanks all for your replies - Very useful Forum!

Comment

Originally posted by ULA View Post
              Sorry to hear about your partner's situation.

Unfortunately with less than 2 years service, unless she can prove discrimination based on the 9 protected characterisitcs of age, disability, gender reassignment, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, marriage and civil partnership, and pregnancy and maternity, she cannot bring a claim for unfair dismissal. There are a few other grounds were dismissal with less than 2 years service may be an automatice unfair dismissal but from what you have said, this situation would not be covered by them.

As you say there is a silver lining and I suggest her focus should be on her new job. I wish her all the best.

If you do have any further questions just come back to this thread.
              Does it have to be a claim for unfair dismissal? She was dismissed for "gross negligence" which from the information gleaned thus far, it was not. Is there any other route for recourse that may be open, perhaps through the civil courts? Or is it really a 'take it on the chin' situation, completely without recourse?

Comment

tx264 unfortunately the person's length of service means there is nothing that can be done via an Employment Tribunal and there is no action via the Civil court that i can think of.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                X