• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Restrictive covenants - 6 month unpaid and not allowed to for competitor enforceable?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you for sending me the contract which I have had a chance to review the relevant clauses.

This is clearly a contract for services and is not an employment contract. I am not experienced in your industry, so I cannot say whether restrictive covenants of this type, in such a service agreement, are typical. So, some observations:

1. You signed up to the terms knowing that there was this restrictive covenant (RC) in place, which may or may not be typical for your industry.

2. The RC is very wide in terms of what it covers and the territory for the 6-month period. I have done some research on case law and the closest I can find to your situation is this case reported here: https://www.wrighthassall.co.uk/know...ces-contracts/

3. That case was dealing with a 12-month restriction and effectively stopped the IFA’s from working with clients that in some instances they have been working with for a long time.

4. In the instances of enforceability of RC’s, it all hinges on whether they are reasonable and in instances when these matters are pursued, it is the Courts that end up deciding.

5. I would take issue with the wording at point 3 of the side letter as it does imply an employment arrangement which, in my opinion given the contents of the service agreement, is not in fact correct but I think that is a moot point.

I think the only way to be really sure of how enforceable clause 6 is, would be to seek some professional legal advice if you are inclined to do so. It also may be that if a legal professional believes there is a case to argue, that a strongly worded letter from them may make Company X come to some sort of compromise in a reduced scope of the RC.

Sorry I cannot be of more help but hope that this does give some signposting as to what you can do.

If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Thanks Ula
      I've always only been an employee at my previous companies but these guy wanted me to join as a contractor. I guess I'll have to find a Business Contracts lawyer.

One thing if you can help.....the side letter talks about the "agreement" being a Commission Sharing Agreement. Whereas the main contract is a "Brokerage service agreement" Does this then make the side letter irrelevant and not linked to thr main contract?

Comment

This is definitely not an employment contract sorry. You want to find someone who has experience of provision of services agreements.

Agreed the side document does not reference the correct name of the main contract but I think it would come down to the intention that both documents form part of the total agreement between you and Company X
        If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

I think an agreement that prevents you working in your chosen profession unpaid is abhorrent. It's akin to slavery. I would hope the courts would take the same view.

Comment

It really is a rubbish position to be in. Company X is a small firm and there's no need to restrict me for 6months without pay. I will of course have to survive on savings to support my 3 children and wife. Such a pathetic company. Hope karma comes back at them and bites them hard.

In the meantime I will have to keep begging them unless I can find a legal route.

Comment

Just to confirm is the company you are going to one that has either supplied service to Co X or an associate of Co x or been a client or prospective client in the last 12 months. Or is a competing or preparing to compete with Co X.

I would suggest finding a relevant solicitor who may do a free or fixed fee initial consultation to establish whether the restrictions are too wide in terms of scope and territory and deny you a livelihood for 6 month after you notice has ended to justify them being enforceable if you did not comply and they went down the route of an injunction to enforce. In terms of an employee/employer relationship then I believe these arguments would hold some ground but you have a business to business agreement so I am less sure of my ground. I really hope that they would be but best check with a legal professional.

Comment

Thank you Ula for your help and direction. I will keep trying to negotiate but take on legal advice in the meantime too.

Comment

The new company is seen to be a direct competitor albeit 100x bigger and my role is completely different and won't be speaking to the same clients. Will keep this post updated in case anyone falls into the same dilemma in future.

Comment

Please do come back and update us and best of luck

Comment

Matty1234 - just wondered whether you got any further with resolving this situation ?
                      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hi. Thanks for thinking of me! Things taken a different route. They forced me out on gardening leave and arent paying me so have gone to ACAS. The contract is fictional and I dont think the self employed status is correct. Fingers crossed. If its a breach of contract then restrictive covenants wont apply - i think.

Comment

"They forced me out on gardening leave and arent paying me"

I would imagine that they are in breach of contract making it invalid?

What do other Beagles think?

Comment

Hi again Matty1234. I think we are back to the question of what is the basis of the contract i.e. employee/employer or business to business. I have reviewed the documents you PM'd me a while back and clause 11.4 and its sub-clauses will be what they have relied on to not allow you access to the building or to work until the effective exit date.

Hopefully if ACAS can unravel the contractual basis of the relationship then it will become clear as to what course of action you can take and that in fact the restrictive covenants are too wide and not enforceable.

Please keep us posted and happy to help if you want to run anything past us when you hear back from ACAS.

Comment

Thanks! ACAS won't be able to determine employment status as that will be for the tribunal to decide. As far as I'm concetned, having done a lot of my own research as well as speaking with a lawyer and a barrister, it is quite clear that I'm not self employed.

I started the ACAS process and still awaiting a conciliator to call me. I guess there are other things I can do such as write to my previous 'employer' and tell them I'm terminating my contract with immediate effect due to repudiatory breach of contract. Don't really know what to do after that but I'm sure I will find out what to do.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X