• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Wages withheld by Postmaster

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There was a great furore some time ago about the Post Office back office system that would "lose" money. Post Masters got sacked because of it. It turned out to be a glitch in the system. I suggest a lot of google searching.

Comment

Originally posted by Ula View Post
      I would just caution making any assumptions at this moment, particularly if they cannot be proven.

Let's just see what response your wife gets to her letter and take it a step at a time. Hopefully the fact that the letter has talked about unlawful deduction of wages will make him think about his actions and speedily rectify the situation.
      Ok will try to be patient thank you

Comment

Here's one link

And another

Has it actually been fixed?

Comment

Originally posted by ostell View Post
          Here's one link

And another

Has it actually been fixed?
          Has what actually been fixed ?

Comment

I suspect ostell means the 'glitch' although the first link doesn't work
            Sorry i'm just thinking out loud, it might be irrelevant, I am not employed in anyway in the legal profession, please ensure you research any advice I give before using it I have been known to be wrong on multiple occasions.

Comment

Sorry, the first link was about a postmistress who had been jailed because of the system "glitch"

Comment

Originally posted by nellie123 View Post

Ok will try to be patient thank you
                As yet we have not received a reply to our letter. We have contacted ACAS to open a case for us with the hope that it will go to an employment tribunal and that we are successful.Are we on the right track ?

Comment

If there has not been any response from the Postmaster to your letter requesting the wages that has been unlawfully deducted and as you have concluded the 7 days given him, then ACAS is the next course of action. It is likely that they will seek to offer you their Early Reconciliation process, here is a useful link to that process

http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=4028
                  If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
                  If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Originally posted by ostell View Post
                    Sorry, the first link was about a postmistress who had been jailed because of the system "glitch"
                    sorry only just seen that post

Comment

If there has not been any response from the Postmaster to your letter requesting the wages that has been unlawfully deducted and as you have concluded the 7 days given him, then ACAS is the next course of action. It is likely that they will seek to offer you their Early Reconciliation process, here is a useful link to that process

http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=4028
                      So today we have received a letter from a solicitor. ( who is a family member of the postmaster ). They originally accused my wife of stealing this money, the police have investigated this and have said they would not be taking any action against my wife. Suddenly they have stated in a solicitors letter , and I quote. ( your till suffered a shortfall due to errors on your behalf ). The solicitor is asking that we pay the balance of the till deficit which is £630.33 that is extra to the wages of £ 281.88 that was the amount withheld. We have 14 days to pay this or face going to court. PLease help

Comment

So today we have received a letter from a solicitor. ( who is a family member of the postmaster ). They originally accused my wife of stealing this money, the police have investigated this and have said they would not be taking any action against my wife. Suddenly they have stated in a solicitors letter , and I quote. ( your till suffered a shortfall due to errors on your behalf ). The solicitor is asking that we pay the balance of the till deficit which is £630.33 that is extra to the wages of £ 281.88 that was the amount withheld. We have 14 days to pay this or face going to court. PLease help

Family member solicitor, would that not be a conflict of interests? Where’s the evidence if the police said there would be no action taken. Is there substantial evidence that the error is your wife’s fault? How can they take court action if the police has said no action, on what grounds? Did your wife admit to it being her fault.
                        Last edited by Setmefree3; 9th January 2019, 16:52:PM.

Comment

Oh my goodness. Did the solicitors letter provide details of the "errors" and any proof of them?

Just a quick question is your wife still working there?
                          If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
                          If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

This link might provide interesting reading. especially seeing whose website it is!
                            https://www.peninsulagrouplimited.co...-for-mistakes/

Comment

Oh my goodness. Did the solicitors letter provide details of the "errors" and any proof of them?

Just a quick question is your wife still working there?
                              do you want me to type the full letter or can I do it more privately ? the answers to the above is no to your first question. The answer to the second question
                              is in the solicitors letter its say and I quote ( By way of background we understand that you were emloyed by ) . My wife has been ill ,and still is due to this farce. She has not been told she has been sacked, fired or any name you want to call it . She is on sleeping tablets , she self certified as sick when this first arose and has a Doctors sick note until the end of this month

Comment

do you want me to type the full letter or can I do it more privately ? the answers to the above is no to your first question. The answer to the second question
                                is in the solicitors letter its say and I quote ( By way of background we understand that you were emloyed by ) . My wife has been ill ,and still is due to this farce. She has not been told she has been sacked, fired or any name you want to call it . She is on sleeping tablets , she self certified as sick when this first arose and has a Doctors sick note until the end of this month
                                That’s disgusting. So with no evidence a solicitor has demanded in writing that your wife pays the money back within 14 days or face court action. I’m not qualified in any way shape or form to give you a legal response, but, that said, if it were me I would be asking the solicitor to provide me the evidence within 14 days that proves your wife indeed owes this money and if no reply is forthcoming, report him/her to the relevant standards who deal with solicitors.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X