• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Medical access

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medical access

My employer has opted the entire company into granting them access to personal medical records. They are offering us the ability to opt out but not without an interview with the HR department. Is this legal?

Not entirely sure that is above board, they cannot automatically opt all employees into consenting to their medical records, presumably you mean from the employee's GP. Most if not all of medical record information is classified as sensitive personal data and there is a lot more stringent requirements to process it, namely that the employer should obtain explicit consent and only for the purpose for which it was intended.

There are other conditions but you've not told us the nature of your work as an employee and the industry your employer works in, so there might be some other valid reason for this but I would still think it is pretty dodgy.

Can you explain exactly how your employer has opted their employees into granting it access to everyone's medical records?
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Hi,

Low level management called a meeting with each department and informed the staff that due to GDPR law changes, company policy had been amended.

The policy was now all staff have given consent for the company to access colleague personal medical records from their GP, not a company related doctor.

The company has not even issued a written document to sign and all staff that opt out will have to explain their reasoning to HR.

The staff turnover is exceptionally high due to the company treating its staff badly and now they are granting themselves access to personal information without permission.

Thanks for your response btw

Comment

Without your consent how can they access your records?

Comment

If a GP was to release your medical records without your consent, they could end up suspended or struck off.

https://www.gmc-uk.org/ethical-guida...rk#paragraph-9

Unless you give your consent to your GP, there is no way that your employer can legally access your records.

There are certain exemptions (a judge's order or if releasing them will help prevent a serious crime), but these won't apply here.

Comment

Ula Not sure what GDPR has to do with their "change of policy" - medical records fall under AMRA access to medical records which requires explicit consent - as does DPA 2018 and GDPR. If anything GDPR is far more focussed on Opt In rather than Opt Out so whatever their reasons for the 'policy' change they have got an issue how they're dealing with it. A GP won't disclose the medical records without explicit consent in any event. I've Tagged Ula to look in but do you have your contract or employee handbook and what does that say about medical records access requirements. Does your job have specific health requirements to perform or has there just been a big absence problem ?
            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Your company is on a very shaky ground with this one, they cannot opt their staff into granting them access to personal medical records. This is absolutely nothing to do with GDPR, in fact GDPR means they have to consider this more carefully since this would be regarded as sensitive personal information.

Anyway as others have said a GP would not provide a report unless they had written and signed confirmation from the employee that they had given consent for a medical record to be provided. Also the individual has the right to see the medical report in advance.

You have very strong ground to push back on your employer.
              If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
              If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X