• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Transfer of preliminary hearing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transfer of preliminary hearing

I have made a claim in respect of race discrimination against my trade union for not providing a service to me. The claim has been accepted and I'm waiting for their response.

A preliminary hearing has been listed for October to be heard in Croydon. The Trade union office is in Leatherhead. I live in Liverpool. I'm confused as to the reason the Croydon tribunal are dealing with this. I would have some issues in attending namely the cost of travel and would have to stay in a hotel the night before. Can I ask for the hearing to he heard in my local Tribunal office in Manchester? Any advice on this would be very much appreciated.
    Tags: None

Are you employed by the Trade Union and therefore going to an Employment Tribunal?
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Hi. No I'm not employed. The claim is about the Union refusing to provide a service.

Comment

Sorry I am trying to understand why you have brought a race discrimination claim via an employment tribunal when you were not employed by the union.
        If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

As I understand it. Its unlawful for someone who provides a service to discriminate against a service user.

Comment

Originally posted by Ots View Post
            As I understand it. Its unlawful for someone who provides a service to discriminate against a service user.
            Yes, it is unlawful.
            But in the Employment Tribunal you can only bring claims against your employer.
            So, as the union is not your employer but a service provider the Tribunal won't have jurisdiction to hear your claim.

Comment

Unless you are or where (within the preceding three months) an employee of the union then an employment tribunal is not the correct place to present your claim.

Have you completed anET1 form which a response from the Trade Union via an ET3 form?

Has ACAS contacted you?

Comment

Hi. I'm an ex Police Office. I've been refused legal funding by the Police Federation in respect of an appeal against a criminal conviction. It may help if you read this article: https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2006/oct/02/race.ukcrime

Comment

Ok thanks for the link to the article which does help to explain the situation. I assume that you have used this case from 2006 as a basis for bringing your potential claim due to the similarities in your current situation.

Employment Tribunal hearing are normally held at the closest Tribunal office to where you worked, however that is in relation to Hearings and I am not sure whether this applies on the case of Preliminary Hearings.

I would suggest that you maybe contact the Employment Tribunal Customer Contact Centre 0300 123 1024 who could advise more specifically about the reason why the Croydon Tribunal has been chosen as the venue.

Comment

Hi. I've just spoken to them. It seems it's because they wrongly assumed I was an employee of the Federation. They suggested I ask for the case to be heard at Manchester, which I've now done. Hopefully a Judge will move it.

Comment

Glad the number was useful. Fingers crossed you will get it moved nearer to your home.

Comment

I think its an unusual case and one the Federation would not want to repeat. Sorry forgot to say thanks for your help.

Comment

It sounds an unusual case. Best of luck and glad I could be of some help.

Comment

I to am in a similar position. My union is refusing to provide me legal support for my discrimination case, so they to are discriminating against me. I called ACAS and the rep said it should be taken to an ET. But that can't be right can it?

Comment

I think OTS knows the procedure on this best at the moment - or ACAS would be good to have a chat with - did you read the link OTS gave in post #8 ?
                              #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X