• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Student Loans to go on Credit files

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Student Loans to go on Credit files

Student loans to go on credit reports

The Student Loans Company (SLC) is set to get more aggressive with people who regularly miss repayments on their outstanding loans.
    Until now, student loans have not appeared on credit files, mainly because the SLC does not have the specific consent of all students to send payment history information to the agencies, one of the basic requirements of sharing account performance data.
    The SLC is to send letters to an estimated 60,000 borrowers considered as consistent ‘bad payers’, advising them that they have 28 days to bring their accounts into line. Anyone who fails to respond will be deemed to be in default. Defaults can be registered without the consent of borrowers, so the SLC has found a way to use credit reference agencies as a means of pressure to aid collection attempts.
    This new move is likely only to affect those who took out student loans prior to 1998 and the SLC estimates that 30,000 people could see their credit ratings damaged. Defaults stay on credit files for a period of six years and can seriously damage an individual's hopes of getting other lines of credit, such as mortgages or personal loans.
    To see what lenders have reported about your credit accounts, you can check your credit report and rating online with checkmyfile, from just £4.85 a month, allowing you to make sure that all the information held about you is correct, and also help to protect yourself against identity theft at the same time.
    Last edited by Tools; 3rd May 2009, 23:44:PM.
    Dragging myself and my family back into the light with the help of Beagles.

My Hardship Claim
    Me VS Abbey Win
    BIL HSBC Credit Card
    BIL EGG
    BIL HSBC Loan
    BIL PPI Win

Re: Student Loans to go on Credit files

Originally posted by BBA
    Student Loans Company to pass defaulters’ details to Credit Reference Agencies
    We have welcomed the decision by the Student Loans Company to share default information with lenders through UK Credit Reference Agencies. This is a welcome step in the right direction and will help lenders to make more informed lending decisions. We are continuing negotiations with the Student Loans Company around the sharing of positive data which would help lenders to make an even more comprehensive assessment of a customer’s ability to repay any borrowing
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X