• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Do we still need LBAs for Low Value Small Claims raised via MCO?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do we still need LBAs for Low Value Small Claims raised via MCO?

When I looked into this last year, I got completely different answers to the answers I get now - so, has something changed recently?

I've attached a screenshot of what ChatGPT / CoPilot now tell you if you ask it direct questions along the lines of, does MCO need a LBA. And its sources are justice.gov.uk, moneyclaimsuk.co.uk and advicenow.org.uk.

MCO (the current name for MCOL) is a digital workflow system, not a court, and it enables you to make, track and respond to a money claim online. If the digital service works out who needs to send what, where and when, and it monitors deadlines, and it has a 19-day turnaround for replies from a defendant from initial notification, then doing a manual LBA starts to look redundant.

It'll be decades before the technology can cope with really complex cases and large bundles in the same way, but for very simple money claim cases the case/workflow management side of things seems like a total no-brainer to me.

Does anyone have any thoughts around where this is all headed? Be interested to hear from people on the legal profession side of this.
    Tags: None

Following. Did you manage to find any further info? I am also confused about whether I need a letter before action or not

Comment

recommended reading: bhttps://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/civil/rules/pd_pre-action_conduct

Comment

Fixed link in quote:
        Originally posted by des8 View Post
        And the answer is that sending a letter before action is good practice in all claims.
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read the Judiciary's handbook for litigants in person: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X