• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Letter Before Claim & Protective proceedings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Letter Before Claim & Protective proceedings

Hi All,
    My first post hoping someone could add some value to my question

I received a Letter before claim 29 January 2021 concerning an allegation of Defamation and Harassment via a Facebook Page group.
    This was the first i have ever heard of the claim , but within the Letter before Claim its stated

Our Client will serve High Court proceedings on you, which have already been issued at the high Court protectively 6 Jan 2021.

Would this be normal for a Claim to be served protectively without informing me of this matter ,

The LBC never offered ADR or looked to resolve the matter just made 6 demands

Then went on to state

" In the event that you are not willing to comply with the above request , our clients will serve High Court proceedings on you, Which have already been
    issued at the High Court Court protectively and in which you have been named as a defendant" .

The Claim is a Multi defendant claim and is for in excess of £5 million.

I'm working as a LIP and the claim is currently stayed after the PTR .

I'm learning as I go but feel the action of service and the lack Pre action Protocol don't seem to fit CPR.

regards
    Tags: None

Hi,

Forgive me but what's your question?

Also what do you mean by PTR?
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Hi Rob , Pre trial review My question was firstly about Protective proceedings served without the defendants been aware .was this normal that a claimant goes straight to the cost of serving in court without attempting to resolve matters .

Comment

The word "protective" refers to the court proceedings having been issued before expiry of the 1 year limitation period, to protect the claimant from having his claim time barred. I infer that 6 January 2021 was very shortly before expiry of the limitation period. The pre-action protocols make it clear that this is what a claimant must do in such circumstances.
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

As Atticus has said, the relevant pre-action protocols recommend that proceedings are issued if there are limitation issues and there's numerous case law on that subject. the phrase 'issued' means when a court has stamped and issued the claim form and then the claimant has four 4 months to serve the claim form form the date of issue.

In between that time, the claimant can then follow the requisite pre-action steps whilst maintaining their right to serve the claim form if no agreement is reached. I presume that having had the PTR the claimant has served the claim form on you within the 4 month period but I'm curious why the court has decided to stay proceedings following the PTR, usually the court would fix a trial date, timetable for disclosing documents and bundles etc.
          If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
          LEGAL DISCLAIMER
          Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

The claimant served the protective part on 6 January 2021 but never sent the Letter before Claim until 29 January 2021 I requested Perma links to the posts on Facebook they stated were defamation, this was requested i followed the correct process requesting further information , then then just served on the 5 May 2021. The claim is stayed as HHJ Lewis stated the Particulars of claim wasn't fit to meet CPR . In open court he called the case
            "A SWAMP". the Claimant is seeking permission to amend the POC .

Comment

OK... but how can we help you?
              Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

PS are you sure the judge said "Swamp" and not SLAPP?

Comment

Hi Atticus , The words used were Swamp but this is shaping up to be a SLAPP case and the SRA are also involved

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                  See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                  X