• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

My Letter Before Claim Was Confusing.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Letter Before Claim Was Confusing.

I received this letter about a month ago. http://imgur.com/waZGAsP As you can see from the fold in the paper I pulled it out and read the debt amount = GBP 0 and interest and thought the debt had been written off. Now I have a court summons with interest. Can I do anything about this, such as dispute the interest?

Thanks in advance.
    Tags: None

Yes. You can dispute. In due course, if the claimant does not drop the case, a judge will decide.

But first of all you must complete the Acknowledgement of Service and return this to the court. After that you must prepare your written defence, and serve one copy on the Claimant and file another with the court.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Sorry just to clarify should I dispute just the interest or the whole amount?

Comment

You have given no information at all about the claim against you.
          Last edited by atticus; 4th November 2022, 15:12:PM.
          Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Particulars of Claim

This debt was from 4 years ago. I left the university of Salford due to ill health and still owed £3000 in tution fees. I wasn't working at the time due to ill health and my mother said she would pay the debt, she didn't. I was living in student accomodation at the time and the original demand letter was sent to my student accomodation a couple of days after I formally left my course.

I haven't heard anything until a month ago when I recieved that letter. I never replied to it as I thought it was confirmation that the debt was cancelled.

They now want £4778 in interest and legal fees.

Thanks

Comment

How do they calculate that? Do you have a breakdown?

Comment

Court fee of £205,
                Legal costs of £80
                The rest is amount claimed.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                X