• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Unusual issue - Lost in the world of preaction protocols pleas help.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unusual issue - Lost in the world of preaction protocols pleas help.

Hi, all,

Please assist, this is a little unusual. I have a situation whereby I need to seek a court order to get a solicitors practice to answer a Subject Access Request. Some little history I submitted a SAR in October last year to the firm. No response and follow up sent. Template letter from the Information Commissioner's Office sent no response. Complaint to ICO. ICO upheld and told them to respond with in 14 days. Complaint to complaints partner at frim resulted in acknowledgement of complaint on origional time scales and a promise to action it, but, this did not happen. Follow up emails received no response. Complaint to SRA and letter to MP. So far no where. The ICO despite having powers will not pursie indvidual cases. So we are left with a situation where by a firm of solicitors can simply ignore the law unless I take the matter further. The ICO insist they are not an ombudsman.

So which pre-action protocol do I follow, and which court should I apply to request a court order to get them to comply?

Looking at the practive direction:
    Steps before issuing a claim at court

6. Where there is a relevant pre-action protocol, the parties should comply with that protocol before commencing proceedings. Where there is no relevant pre-action protocol, the parties should exchange correspondence and information to comply with the objectives in paragraph 3, bearing in mind that compliance should be proportionate. The steps will usually include—

(a) the claimant writing to the defendant with concise details of the claim. The letter should include the basis on which the claim is made, a summary of the facts, what the claimant wants from the defendant, and if money, how the amount is calculated;

So is there a preaction protocl for this, if so how do you know there is such and how can I find it?

Any other advise welcome, please!

best

JRL

Tags: None

Hello. I am not an expert on pre-action protocol, but if your complaint has not bee responded to correctly, then you can go to The Solicitors Regulation Authority who are effectively the "Ombudsman"

Comment

Originally posted by monsal View Post
      Hello. I am not an expert on pre-action protocol, but if your complaint has not bee responded to correctly, then you can go to The Solicitors Regulation Authority who are effectively the "Ombudsman"
      Unfortunatly not. The matter has already been raised with the SRA. The SRA, lice the ICO will only take regulatory action they do not get involved in indvidual cases. Hence the question concerning the pre-action protocol.

Comment

The Legal Services Ombudsman is effectively the Ombudsman!
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now in academia. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

If you cannot identify a specific pre action protocol, follow this one: https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/pr...action_conduct
          Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now in academia. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
            The Legal Services Ombudsman is effectively the Ombudsman!
            The legal ombudsman can only act if you are a client of the firm. I was not and was involved as a relative of their client therefore from my understanding I cannot take this to them.

Comment

I was responding to Monsal's suggestion that someone other than the Ombudsman is 'effectively' the Ombudsman.

Your relly can take the matter to the Ombudsman.

Comment

Originally posted by ATTIUS View Post

I was responding to Monsal's suggestion that someone other than the Ombudsman is 'effectively' the Ombudsman.

Your relly can take the matter to the Ombudsman.
                I am sorry to be so dim, but, I do not follow you. To whom? If you are talking about the Legal Ombudsman (https://www.legalombudsman.org.uk/make-a-complaint/) and click start the answer the questions (which are about is this a regulated entity, and it is) as explained above I was a 3rd party and answering that it was a service for someone else you get:

In order for the Legal Ombudsman to investigate a complaint, it should relate to something a service provider did for you as a direct client, or on your behalf.
                • If you are the beneficiary of an estate, we can investigate complaints about work done on an estate.
                • We cannot investigate complaints about someone else's lawyer - for example, if you were buying a house and you think the seller's solicitor took too long to respond.
                • If you are bringing this complaint on behalf of someone else – a friend or family member – we will need proof that you have been given permission to do this.

The easiest way is to complete a representative authority form which can be downloaded here.

Which means you cannot get help from them. Also as explained above the SRA will not intervene in indvidual cases so you are snookered.

Can you please clarify what you mean, who else is there to take this to?
                Last edited by Julian Lineton; 13th August 2022, 10:16:AM. Reason: mistaken quote

Comment

If you cannot identify a specific pre action protocol, follow this one: https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/pr...action_conduct
                  Hi,

Thank you for this. In partially answering my own question there is also https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/pr...cations-claims which is very helpful. But I am now confused as I have two sources. How do these interact and which takes president.

Please help

Thanks again

Comment

If yours is a "media and communications" claim, then the practice direction in your link will apply. NB it is not a pre action protocol.

Comment

If yours is a "media and communications" claim, then the practice direction in your link will apply. NB it is not a pre action protocol.
                      Yes your are right it is the section on Rules and Practice Directions. Hence I assume that I use as you said above the generic pre-aciton protocil. However in that practice direction it says:
                      Scope of this Part

(1) This Part contains rules about media and communications claims.

(2) A “media and communications claim” means a claim which—

(a) satisfies the requirements of paragraph (3) or (4); and

(b) has been issued in or transferred into the Media and Communications List.

(3) A High Court claim must be issued in the Media and Communications List if it is or includes a claim for defamation, or is or includes—

(a) a claim for misuse of private information;

(b)a claim in data protection law; or

(c) a claim for harassment by publication.
                      (4) Subject to Part 63 and any other applicable provisions, a claim not falling within paragraph (3) may be issued in the Media and Communications List if the claim arises from—

(a)the publication or threatened publication of information via the media, online or in speech; or

(b)other activities of the media,

and the claimant considers it is suitable for resolution in that list

Hence although my claim will be just a data protection claim it is covered by these rules as it is a "(b)a claim in data protection law; or". Hence you may appreciate my confusion. Do I simply follow the generic pre-action protocol or follow this or meld them together? This is where it gets confusion.

I look forward to your reply

Thanks agian

Comment

A pre action protocol covers steps before you commence your action; the Practice Direction covers the commencement of action and steps thereafter. There is no overlap, nothing to "meld" together.

I suggest that you read the protocol in my link and write your letter.

Comment

Postscript.

Complaint to the SRA and intervention from my MP resolved this without need for protocol.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                          X