• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Answered an automated message call - from Northampton Country Court - No Letter?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Answered an automated message call - from Northampton Country Court - No Letter?

I just had a call come in to my mobile and answered it to find an automated voice saying something like 'if you ignore this message it will be taken as...' But my phone had flagged it up as 'Possible Spam' and the recorded message was part way through, so I hung up. It's only when I searched for the number, then called it back, I find this was a message from Northampton County Court. I'm now position 35 in a queue to talk to someone! But their system apparently isn't able to search without me supplying a case number, which I don't have. I've never received a court letter (I would have remembered!!)

How do I find out why a court is in contact with me without any paperwork or a letter being received?
    Tags: None

Likely to be a scam and the number probably spoofed to suggest it was coming from the court.

The court will never send you an automated call to say you will be taken to court if you ignore the message. The court is impartial and does not act on behalf of the claimant or the defendant other than to comply with legal procedures and orders/decisions from the judge.

The court will send correspondence normally by first class post but they may call you, for example to verify your contact number if you are having a telephone hearing. If wouldn't worry too much about it, but you may want to check your credit file in case there has been any judgments recorded against you - if there's none, I would treat it as a scam call unless you are aware of potential proceedings against you in relation to a dispute in which case call that person/company to confirm.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Hi TOBYB123

You could email them giving them your details. They do take sometime to respond- ccbc@hmcts.gsi.gov.uk

Comment

I would say it was spam and someone spoofed the number

Comment

https://www.justice.gov.uk/help/fraud

Comment

Thanks all for the replies! I did eventually make it all the way down the call queue and speak to the adviser - who straight away wanted a case number. I told her I'd had a call... and she said they'd never call so it's definitely a scam.
            I didn't realise they could spoof number like that! Damn, the panic that sets in when you think you've got some unknown court action building against you, they know this of course!
            I'll make sure to not panic about these scamming b#stards

Comment

Originally posted by tobyb123 View Post
              Thanks all for the replies! I did eventually make it all the way down the call queue and speak to the adviser - who straight away wanted a case number. I told her I'd had a call... and she said they'd never call so it's definitely a scam.
              I didn't realise they could spoof number like that! Damn, the panic that sets in when you think you've got some unknown court action building against you, they know this of course!
              I'll make sure to not panic about these scamming b#stards
              Report it via Action Fraud - https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X