• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Shoosmiths Copyright Claim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shoosmiths Copyright Claim

Hello, need help and advice. I am a new website designer. I setup an instagram page with a very similar logo to a directory for handymen, called the same but with websites at end, when enquiry comes through id then forward them to the main page (not directory name) when someone made enquiry wanting a website designed.Great idea at time for lead gen but not so now, wasnt passing off as the company so thought nothing of it! All the bio of the page was my website designing company and details

Today i got an instagram message in the inbox with screen shots of a letter which they are posting out, claiming the logos are identicle, which i agree are similar but not identical, regardless, and will settle for £500 by 20th May 2021 as a contribution, if i dont then the IP holder could take action. Now i do agree, in hindsight now it was a stupid thing to do, since, the page has been taken down, do i pay seen as ive ceased and desist? Will they take further action if i just ignore, where do i stand? Someone please advise Thanks
    Tags: None

When was the page taken down?

I suspect their principle aim was to simply stop you continuing the page. The £500 demand is probably to cover the costs of sending a lawyers letter. They are very unlikely to take it further now the page is down, The reason I think this is because if they were serious about alleging IP infringement they would probably demand a lot more money. You may get a few letters, let us know is any mention further legal action rather than just repeated demands for money.

"Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Thanks Celestine, I feel so stupid now was just trying to drive traffic so was saying exactly as is on Tin, websites for the directory name users. They included a screen shot of a message they sent to me saying am I that directory which I replied No, I’m just offering website designs to the members. They included this in the letter for some reason, all in the BIO of the Instagram page was all the real company details, not passing off as the directory name (as I never intended to pass off as them)

so they have said in the letter their client would accept £500 contribution to stop them taking any further action? Surely the initial letter should be a cease and desist. The page was up for about 4 days and they must have claimed to insta as it was taken down, if they would have messaged me direct saying it’s a violation I would have taken it down myself.

The deadline they have set is 20th may, do I simply ignore the letter or make contact?

Thanks for taking the time to reply

Comment

Four days? That's how long the page was up in total? If so then the likelihood of it causing them actual loss, or genuine confusion to consumers is very low.
        Any legal action has to be taken after appropriate notice, so they wont just jump straight to a court claim. After all if you're going to go to the bother of sending a legal letter, you may as well demand a payment while you're at it. (Hoping the recipient scares easily)
        If I was in your position, I would ignore and see what they do next.
        Let us know. x
        "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Originally posted by Celestine View Post
          Four days? That's how long the page was up in total? If so then the likelihood of it causing them actual loss, or genuine confusion to consumers is very low.
          Any legal action has to be taken after appropriate notice, so they wont just jump straight to a court claim. After all if you're going to go to the bother of sending a legal letter, you may as well demand a payment while you're at it. (Hoping the recipient scares easily)
          If I was in your position, I would ignore and see what they do next.
          Let us know. x
          Amazing, going to take your advice and do just that.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X